Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Anyone know the meaning of "break out" in the sentence of "Break out the poodle skirts and crank up the Perry Como"?

Does "break out" here mean wear? Is it a common usage? I cannot find its meaning as "wear" in the dictionary.
Does the whole sentence mean --- put on the poodle skirts and turn up the volume of Perry Como's music?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think your interpretation is basically right, but there is also a connotation of "get those poodle skirts out of storage" and put them on. Break out is a common usage for starting to use something that has been stored away.

watermark

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Thank you probus! It's amazing that break out here means a series of motions--get the skirt and put it on. I cannot find a word in my native language (Chinese) that means more than one action.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you probus! It's amazing that break out here means a series of motions--get the skirt and put it on.
That is not what probus said. See also the fifth definition here.

watermark

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
ok, now I see. break out means start to do something that has been stored away. I found the same definition as in your link, but it didn't occur to me that the fifth definition applies to "break out poodle skirts". Thank you 5jj!

Status
Not open for further replies.