Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Teachers:

Is it natural and grammatically correct to say"There is a church on my way home" or "On my way home, there is a church." rather than "from somewhere to my home, there is a church." ? Are there any other possibilities?

Thanks a lot!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Teachers:

Is it natural and grammatically correct to say"There is a church on my way home" or "On my way home, there is a church." rather than "from somewhere to my home, there is a church." ? Are there any other possibilities?

Thanks a lot!

"There is a church on my way home" or "On my way home, there is a church."
Both of these are natural and grammatical.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Teachers:

As bhaisahib says, both are natural and grammatical, however they do rather assume the listener knows where you will be travelling home from. If it's not clear from context where your departure point is, then you would need to specify it, perhaps by saying something like "There's a MacDonalds on my way home from work and I stop there when I'm too tired to cook."

It's worth noting that "my" is variable and can be replaced with your/our/his etc, and also simply with "the" (but not "a/an"). An example of that usage would be "Is there a petrol station on the way home?"

Status
Not open for further replies.