Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

Me and one of my friends had a sugarcane juice in our nearby shop.

there we saw a board that listed the benefits of sugarcane juice.

the sentence that caught attention was this.

"This is a refreshing, sweet and a wonderful substitute for an aerated drink. This benefits the body from gaining unnecessary calories."

The sentence in question was the second one.

"This benefits the body from gaining unnecessary calories".

My opinion was that this sentence is correct and it conveys the meaning that drinking sugarcane juice instead of an aerated drink, results in less calories.

My friends opinion was that this sentence is wrong and the usage of from is wrong (he agreed on the meaning but he felt this sentence conveys the opposite)

According to him,to get the meaning that i and shopkeeper thought, the correct formation of the second sentence should be

"this benefits the body from losing unnecessary calories.."

or

"this benefits the body from gaining necessary calories.."

Is it correct? we are not native speakers. can you tell as which one conveys the meaning we thought and is correct and explain why?
Can you also point us to the usage of "from"

Thanks
Raja

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not a proper sentence. The intended meaning in not clear. I don't see how drinking sugar can help you avoid calories.

rajaraja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It's not a proper sentence. The intended meaning in not clear. I don't see how drinking sugar can help you avoid calories.

Hi,

Leave aside the scientific truth. whether the sentence grammatically correct and convey the meaning that drinking sugarcane will reduce the intake of calories than aerated drink?

Thanks

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's not correct. I would say "This benefits the body by reducing unnecessary calories." Or "The body benefits from reducing unnecessary calories."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, and welcome to Using English.

Here are a few corrections to your post:
Hi,

[Strike]Me and o[/Strike]One of my friends and I had a sugarcane juice in our nearby shop.

There we saw a board that listed the benefits of sugarcane juice.

The sentence that caught attention was this:

"This is a refreshing, sweet and a wonderful substitute for an aerated drink. This benefits the body from gaining unnecessary calories."

The sentence in question was the second one.

"This benefits the body from gaining unnecessary calories".

My opinion was that this sentence is correct and it conveys the meaning that drinking sugarcane juice instead of an aerated drink[Strike],[/Strike] results in [Strike]less[/Strike] fewer calories.

My friend's opinion was that this sentence is wrong and the usage of "from" is wrong. (He agreed on the meaning but he felt this sentence conveys the opposite.)

According to him, [space]to get the meaning that I and shopkeeper thought, the correct formation of the second sentence should be:

"This benefits the body from losing unnecessary calories.[Strike].[/Strike]"

or

"This benefits the body from gaining necessary calories.[Strike].[/Strike]"

Is it correct? We are not native speakers. Can you tell as which one conveys the meaning we thought and is correct and explain why?
Can you also point us to the usage of "from"

Thanks
Raja

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about something like this:
This is refreshing, sweet and a wonderful substitute for an aerated drink, and contains fewer calories.

I would use soft/fizzy/carbonated (possibly) drink rather than aerated, but these terms can vary from country to country.

I do agree with your friend about the original sentence- it doesn't work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.