Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello, I have finished the first paragraph for my essay and this is a 3 paragraph essay. Could I please help some help in correcting it and anything is helpful, like if a sentence does not flow. This essay is about a poem(My last duchess) and the song, you fight me. Thank you

Comparison Essay
The poem “My Last Duchess” and the song “You Fight Me” are similar in that the narrators in both works of literature have an immense desire to bring the other individual in their relationship within their own control. The sinister image that is created from both works is that the narrator seeks a relationship in which he is in possession of his lover and her freedom. In “My Last Duchess,” the narrator known as the duke wants to control Porphyria to the extent where he would murder Porphyria in cold blood in order to control her. For example, the duke affirms his ownership by adding the sinister information, “none puts by/ the curtain I have drawn for you, but I.” Similarity, the narrator in “You Fight Me” emphasizes that he is in control of this relationship by announcing the information, “Can we live a life of peace and happiness/I don't think so… I'm in control.” The narrator in this song’s attitude towards this relationship is that he wants control and that he identity’s this relationship as something that could never succeed without control. Correspondingly, the duke in “My last Duchess” has a similar attitude as he too thinks that his relationship with his last duchess was never to be successful, because his last duchess kept deifying his wishes. In addition, the duke in “My Last Duchess” has a subtle and mocking tone throughout the poem, For example, the duke lies about his verbal skills as he explains he does not have much verbal skill to complete the task he wanted, yet he has written such an amazing ballad. Similarity, the narrator in the song has a mocking tone about his relationship and how the failure of their relationship wasn’t his fault. The poem, “My Last Duchess” and the song, “You Fight Me” have similar stories, but they are both emphasized by the form and language used to convey the message.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's a while since I picked up my Browning, but I don't remember that we are ever told the name either of the Duchess. In fact, I'm pretty sure you're confusing this poem with another one by Browning, in which a girl called Porphyria does indeed feature. The poem is based on Alfonso, the Duke of Ferrara, whose three lives in real life were Lucrezia, Barbara and ... .actually I can't remember the third one, I'm sorry, but I know it *wasn't* Porphyria!

Status
Not open for further replies.