• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

see sb + PII?

In one of my exercise (don't ask what, it's irrelevant), I was given this as a correct answer

"No sooner had she returned than she saw him surrounded by visitors"

I don't get why it is "saw him surrounded". If my memory serve me right, there are only 2 kind of see: + V(INF) and V-ing. Some explanation would be helpful

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: see sb + PII?

He was surrounded by visitors. That's what she saw. She saw him wearing a green shirt. She saw him with his feet up. She saw him surrounded by visitors.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Wait, so you mean we can actually conjugate the verb that some after "see"? I remember asking some one last time about "she saw him stand on the station" and I was told the verb stand was supposed to be infinitive because it comes after "see".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

We're not conjugating "surround" here. "Surrounded" is the participle used to modify "him." You're not describing his action, but his appearance/state, which was "surrounded by visitors."

What does "She saw him stand on the station" mean? I read that as she saw him walk over and then stop moving, so he was then standing on something. But what?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    We're not conjugating "surround" here. "Surrounded" is the participle used to modify "him." You're not describing his action, but his appearance/state, which was "surrounded by visitors."

What does "She saw him stand on the station" mean? I read that as she saw him walk over and then stop moving, so he was then standing on something. But what?
    I was referring to this thread of mine: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...-question.html
    I modified the sentence since I didn't remember what it was exactly so it might have sounded a little bit silly.

Anyhow, Thanks for the help , I get it now.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by vkhu View Post
    Wait, so you mean we can actually conjugate the verb that some after "see"? I remember asking some one last time about "she saw him stand on the station" and I was told the verb stand was supposed to be infinitive because it comes after "see".
    It's not infinitive because it comes after 'see'. It's infinitive because that is the form required for that meaning.

The following are possible:
    "I saw him surrounded by his visitors."
    "I saw him surrounding his visitors." (difficult in real life; it's just a grammatical example)
    "I saw him surround his visitors."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Please consider these also:

She saw him alive.
    She saw him naked.