Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear teachers

I don't understand the expression of "throw a kettle over a pub" in the following context.

Finchy is a travelling Sales Rep and David’s partner in debauched crime. His rare appearances in the office consist of unprintable language and innuendo. He is unfathomably successful with women.He also has a tendency to link his masculinity and sense of self worth to his ability to win at the office Quiz Night. He is not nice. However he can throw a kettle over a pub.

Regards

Anthony

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear teachers

I don't understand the expression of "throw a kettle over a pub" in the following context.

Finchy is a travelling Sales Rep and David’s partner in debauched crime. His rare appearances in the office consist of unprintable language and innuendo. He is unfathomably successful with women.He also has a tendency to link his masculinity and sense of self worth to his ability to win at the office Quiz Night. He is not nice. However he can throw a kettle over a pub.

Regards

Anthony

It means literally what it says, he is able to throw a kettle over a pub. Do you know what a kettle is? And a pub?

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi Bhasia, I know what is a kettle and a pub, but I have no idea if the expression is a compliment or something negative on Finchy.

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's some kind of idiomatic expression, but I can't find the source of it. (Australian, 1500's?)

It has been used in dialogue on the British TV comedy, "The Office" and "Seinfield."

It might be a gaming term.

Last edited:

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
* Not a teacher

I think you should take it literally.

The World of Ricky Gervais' The Office: Supply Room

Kettle over pub throwing competition Just how hard is it to throw a kettle over a pub while your mate waits round the back to confirm it? Delayed for the moment.

Office, The (2001)

The landlord of the Lamb pub in Chichester
challenges me to throw one of these copper kettles over his pub.
- Or a kettle? - No, the equivalent. Coconut.
I will throw anything you choose over this building.
So if he can throw it over, we've won the champagne,
- and that was the real quiz. - Choose one thing.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi Bhasia, I know what is a kettle and a pub, but I have no idea if the expression is a compliment or something negative on Finchy.

It's not negative in itself. Finchy is a thoroughly unpleasant person, the fact that he is able to throw a kettle over a pub doesn't affect that at all.

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi Bhasiahab, so the expression is like: "Finchy is also good at squash"? some additional information?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's some kind of idiomatic expression, but I can't find the source of it. (Australian, 1500's?)

It has been used in dialogue on the British TV comedy, "The Office" and "Seinfield."

It might be a gaming term.

I would like to see a citation for this if you find it. I've seen all the Seinfeld episodes and don't recall this. When it was used in "The Office", it seemed like it came from the situation, not an idiomatic phrase.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would like to see a citation for this if you find it. I've seen all the Seinfeld episodes and don't recall this. When it was used in "The Office", it seemed like it came from the situation, not an idiomatic phrase.

It's not an idiomatic phrase. Not in BrE anyway.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's not idiomatic in AmE either (and I don't recall it in Seinfeld either). If I recall correctly, Finch did try to throw some object over the pub in this Office episode. Further demonstrating that the phrase is meant quite literally.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It was Tim's shoes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.