Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Sex hormones somehow affect the stress response, causing females under stress to produce more of the trigger chemcals than do males under he same conditions. ... Add( ) to a woman's increased dose of stress chemicals, are her increased "opportunities" for stress."
My trouble in the second sentence is :1. Which is the subject? (In the above text, there is no "opportunities".)
2.Behind "add" which shall we add to, ing or ed? And why?
Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Sex hormones somehow affect the stress response, causing females under stress to produce more of the trigger chemcals than do males under he same conditions. ... Add( ) to a woman's increased dose of stress chemicals, are her increased "opportunities" for stress."
My trouble in the second sentence is :1. Which is the subject? (In the above text, there is no "opportunities".)
Yes there is. The subject is 'Her increased "opportunities" for stress'. The verb is 'are'.
2.Behind "add" which shall we add to, ing or ed? And why?
Thanks!
Either 'added' or 'adding' can be used here.
Whether something is 'added' or 'adding' is simply a matter of choice, given that this statement is timeless. “Opportunities add to her chemicals”
Added to her chemicals are opporunities for stress.” This expresses it as a past event. The opportunities have been added.
Adding to her chemicals are opportunities for stress.” This expresses it as present. The opportunities are currently adding to her chemicals.
But since the statement is about a timeless truth, that is, it doesn’t refer to a specific woman, or specific chemicals or opportunities, you can use either the present or past participle as the adjective.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Either 'added' or 'adding' can be used here.
Whether something is 'added' or 'adding' is simply a matter of choice, given that this statement is timeless. “Opportunities add to her chemicals”
Added to her chemicals are opporunities for stress.” This expresses it as a past event. The opportunities have been added.
Adding to her chemicals are opportunities for stress.” This expresses it as present. The opportunities are currently adding to her chemicals.
But since the statement is about a timeless truth, that is, it doesn’t refer to a specific woman, or specific chemicals or opportunities, you can use either the present or past participle as the adjective.
I agree with you about adding or addede.Thanks! But I have another question .
"Adding to a woman's increased dose of stress chemicals, are her increased 'opportunities' for stress." is the first sentence of the paragraph. The last one of it is "It's just that they 're dealing with so many more things that they become worn out from it more visibly and sooner."
We can easily see the core of the paragraph is dealing with the reason why females become worn out...
If we put the first sentence into Chinese like this :Females do not only produce more stress chemicals,but also have more opportunities for stress. I think that the translation goes too far away from the original meaning. But it is from an scholar of English in China. What do you think of my idea?
Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I agree with you about adding or addede.Thanks! But I have another question .
"Adding to a woman's increased dose of stress chemicals, are her increased 'opportunities' for stress." is the first sentence of the paragraph. The last one of it is "It's just that they 're dealing with so many more things that they become worn out from it more visibly and sooner."
We can easily see the core of the paragraph is dealing with the reason why females become worn out...
If we put the first sentence into Chinese like this :Females do not only produce more stress chemicals,but also have more opportunities for stress. I think that the translation goes too far away from the original meaning. But it is from an scholar of English in China. What do you think of my idea?
Thanks!
It's a badly phrased translation, but if what you say is true, it also takes some licence with the material - that is, it adds connotations that aren't in the original. Also, "more opportunities for stress" doesn't make much sense. Men have similar "opportunities" to become stressed. Does it mean that women face more stressful events in life than men? If so, I disagree.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for your teaching!

Status
Not open for further replies.