English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I am supposed to teach a transportation class to refugees at my agency. They are skilled in using public transportation, but a lot of them won't drive for some time. What else can I teach?? I am a little stumped here. Any ideas of materials or lessons to teach would be greatly appreciated!

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
- different types of transport (tube/bus/train/taxi/tram/cycling)
- different types of tickets and cost (weekly/annual/return/round-trip)
- concessionary fares (child/student/OAP/disabled)
- peak time and off-peak and the difference between them
- public transport etiquette (probably depends on what country you are in - I see you are in the US but here in the UK it's very much "not done" to make eye contact or conversation)
- map-reading/ getting directions/ using a satnav (could be a great listening practise!)
- road signs and the highway code

A lot will depend on their level of English and their native countries, because some things will be very familiar and they will simply need to learn the English word, but other concepts may be totally alien. Good luck with it!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, asking for help. I recently rode public transport in an unfamiliar city and I could barely understand the station announcements. I had to ask another rider what was just said and for confirmation that I had not missed my stop. (I agree that we don't make casual conversation with our co-riders, but most people are kind if you have a request for help.)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

It might be a good idea (since you need topics to fill the time) to teach them how to be a good pedestrian,

Above all, remind them of the dangers of jaywalking: crossing the street in the middle of a block because they are

too lazy to walk to the corner. Tell them about the many jaywalkers who have been killed, not to mention

those who have been injured or received citations from police officers.

Also, remind them that many people drive in an uncivilized manner. So teach

them to be super careful when crossing corners even if they have the right of way. Remind them:

Never fight with an automobile. You will always lose.

Say, I have an idea. You could take them on a field trip and show them how to safely cross the street. I think that your

supervisor would be impressed by such hands-on instruction. Then you could return to school -- by public transportation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.