Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello

I would like to send a formal e-mail to which a document is attached.

My sentence is as follows:

1) "I hereby refer to the agreement dated March 1st, 2012, a copy of which being attached hereto, and notably to ...."

Is it correct or is it preferable to write:

2) I hereby refer to the agreement dated March 1st, 2012, (a) copy of which you will find attached hereto, and notably to ...."
3) I hereby refer to the agreement dated March 1st, 2012, (a) copy of which is attached hereto, and notably to..."

In any case, is the preposition "a" necessary and the word "hereto" not redundant?

Thank you for your help

Guillaume

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello

I would like to send a formal e-mail to which a document is attached.

My sentence is as follows:

1) "I hereby refer to the agreement dated March 1st, 2012, a copy of which [STRIKE]being[/STRIKE] ("being" doesn't work) attached hereto, and notably to ...."

Is it correct or is it preferable to write:

2) I hereby refer to the agreement dated March 1st, 2012, (a) copy of which you will find attached hereto, and notably to ...."
3) I hereby refer to the agreement dated March 1st, 2012, (a) copy of which is attached hereto, and notably to..."

In any case, is the preposition "a" necessary and the word "hereto" not redundant?
The "a" is required. "Hereto" is not required but it certainly gives your email a very formal tone, verging on a legal tone. However, it is fine without it.
"I hereby refer to the agreement dated March 1st, 2012, a copy of which is attached ..."

Thank you for your help.

Guillaume

See above.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there a reason you feel compelled to use "hereby" in the first place?

I don't know what's wrong with plain English.

I have attached a copy of the agreement dated March 1, 2012. Please refer to section... (There is also the "I invite your attention to section..." which is a bit fancier, but not as stereotypically jargony as "I hereby refer to..")

paysage57

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I use "hereby" because I'm writing to an english lawyer and I don't know how to introduce my request in another way without appearing too friendly (I have never met him). Sometimes I begin by "Reference is made to the agreement..." I don't know if this is better.

As to your proposals, thank you this is helpful, but in this particular situation it seems that I focus on the fact that I have attached the agreement, which is not the purpose of my e-mail (since the lawyer already has it - the document is only attached for ease of reference). I would like to directly raise the issues I see in the agreement which we both know perfectly.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Now I look back at it, I agree with BarbD about "hereby" being unnecessary as well. Just because you're writing to a lawyer, you don't have to make the letter sound overly complicated.

"I have attached a copy of the agreement dated 1st March 2012. The points of that agreement which I would like to discuss are ..."

That doesn't sound "too friendly" but it also doesn't sound overly formal.

Status
Not open for further replies.