Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
I have just started a new career as a journalist. I have a mentor who has reviewed my first piece of writing and her feedback is that it is pretty good. I thought pretty good would be better than good but it does not seem to be? Does it depend on the context?.

Could you please expand? Cheers

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have just started a new career as a journalist. I have a mentor who has reviewed my first piece of writing and her feedback is that it is pretty good. I thought pretty good would be better than good but it does not seem to be? Does it depend on the context?.

Could you please expand? Cheers

"Pretty good" could have a range of meanings from "OK" through to "good". You should ask her to clarify what she means.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) Congratulations! I wish you the best of luck in your chosen field.

(a) Journalists can do a lot of good -- or a lot of harm. I am sure that you will do a lot of good!

(2) Here in the United States, I believe that "pretty good" means something like "not bad."

(a) Perhaps your mentor did not want to nitpick (find every little mistake), so "pretty good" could mean:

"As a beginner, you made some mistakes, but -- in general -- you did an acceptable job."

(3) I do believe, however, that if a wife asks about the quality of her cooking, a husband had better not reply,

"It's pretty good."

riviera

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) Congratulations! I wish you the best of luck in your chosen field.

(a) Journalists can do a lot of good -- or a lot of harm. I am sure that you will do a lot of good!

(2) Here in the United States, I believe that "pretty good" means something like "not bad."

(a) Perhaps your mentor did not want to nitpick (find every little mistake), so "pretty good" could mean:

"As a beginner, you made some mistakes, but -- in general -- you did an acceptable job."

(3) I do believe, however, that if a wife asks about the quality of her cooking, a husband had better not reply,

"It's pretty good."

Thank you! I am planning to do as much good as I can. I am training to be an investigative journalist :)

yeah, she had some comments obviously. But I think she means that in general is OK for a first job!

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[AmE not a teacher]

I often use "pretty good" to mean "it's surprisingly very good".

friend: So, was the movie boring, like you thought it would be?
me: No actually, it's pretty good!

Status
Not open for further replies.