Would you mind telling me the difference of these sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

improver

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Would you mind telling me that the saying of fourteen forty-five and the saying of a thousand four-hundred and forty is 1440 are both correct or not?

And I would like to know how to use " By the way" and "At the same time"
Actually, The phrase of "by the way" is not suitable for writing a formal article,right?

Thanks for attention
:up:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you mind telling me that the saying of fourteen forty-five and the saying of a thousand four-hundred and forty is 1440 are both correct or not?

And I would like to know how to use " By the way" and "At the same time"
Actually, The phrase of "by the way" is not suitable for writing a formal article,right?

Thanks for attention
:up:

Please ask your second question about by the way/at the same time in another thread. After you create the new thread, you can come back and edit your first post to delete it. When your questions are completely unrelated, please don't ask them in the same post.

If you are talking about the year 1445, it will sound very odd to most native speakers if you don't say "fourteen forty-five" or fourteen-hundred forty-five.

If you are talking about a quantity, then you can say either fourteen forty-five, or fourteen hundred and forty-five, or one thousand, four hundred and forty-five.

We would not say "a thousand" but "one thousand."

paysage57

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Just an additional question: can you leave out the "and" when you are talking about a quantity?

"1445: one thousand four hundred forty-five"

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, in the US, but I prefer it with the "and." It's easier to undertsand that you're at the end of the number.

Four hundred and forty-five == Tell ms clearly it's 445.
Four hundred forty-five == I wonder if you're about to add "thousand, six hundred and nineteen" or something like that.

paysage57

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Thank you.

So if my understanding is correct "and" is used only at the end of the number?

For example 543,319,897 shall read:

1) five hundred forty-three million, three hundred nineteen thousand, eight hundred and ninety-seven

instead of

2) five hundred and forty-three million, three hundred and nineteen thousand, eight hundred and ninety-seven

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You'll hear both. I prefer 1.

Status