Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 120
    #1

    "I am working Atlantic City"

    Is it a right expression? "I am working Atlantic City?"

    In a drama called "Seinfeld", a guy say that sentence.

    I just think that there should be "in" or "on" after "working" : I am working in Atlantic City

    I know he surely means "I am going to Atlantic City to work"...I am confused.

    Also, another guy says "I am going to Atlantic City!! I am down!!"

    What does "I am down" mean in that expression?

    Thanks you in advance

  1. Tullia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 628
    #2

    Re: "I am working Atlantic City"

    Quote Originally Posted by layla0302 View Post
    Is it a right expression? "I am working Atlantic City?"

    In a drama called "Seinfeld", a guy say that sentence.

    I just think that there should be "in" or "on" after "working" : I am working in Atlantic City

    I know he surely means "I am going to Atlantic City to work"...I am confused.
    Without context it's hard to be sure, but sometimes the verb "to work" can be used with a direct object to imply that someone is going to manipulate the object in some way, possibly to get something out of it (literally or figuratively).

    That meaning comes across in the way comedians are often said to "work the room" which means to react to the audience and tailor the jokes to them to get the best reactions. If the person speaking was an entertainer, that might be meant. Salesmen are sometimes referred to as "working their customers" too.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 120
    #3

    Re: "I am working Atlantic City"

    Yes! the person who speaks that word is a comedian (talker)!! Thanks for your answer! how about the other one? "I am down?" Could you help me about that one?

  2. Tullia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 628
    #4

    Re: "I am working Atlantic City"

    Quote Originally Posted by layla0302 View Post
    Yes! the person who speaks that word is a comedian (talker)!! Thanks for your answer! how about the other one? "I am down?" Could you help me about that one?

    Without context or tone of voice, it could mean any number of things... the speaker could be "down" on the list of people who is travelling, or "down" in the sense of "depressed", or "down" in the (colloquial) sense of "cool and hip and trendy", or even - since Atlantic City is famous for gambling - "down" in the sense of having made a financial loss. If you go gambling and make a profit you can say you are "up on the night" or if you make a loss you are "down on the night". Actually that applies to many types of financial transactions including, for example, the sale of property.

    Do you have a link to a video of the episode in question? We could probably tell more if we saw it ourselves.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #5

    Re: "I am working Atlantic City"

    He's "down" for the trip, meaning basically that he wants to go to Atlantic City. It's slang for "mark me down" (on the list of people going).

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 902
    #6

    Re: "I am working Atlantic City"

    Quote Originally Posted by layla0302 View Post
    Is it a right expression? "I am working Atlantic City?"

    In a drama comedy called "Seinfeld", a guy say that sentence.
    ...
    What does "I am down" mean in that expression?
    There was one episode called "The Stall" where George is rather infatuated with Elaine's friend Tony, who has very slang-filled speech patterns. One of the things this man says is "I'm down"; George picks it up (probably to fit in, or impress Tony) and starts adding things to it and overusing it (quite humorously): I'm down, I'm totally down, mark me down.

    If I had to guess, I'd say the usage came from "mark me down (on the calendar) because I will be attending".
    Last edited by BobSmith; 14-Mar-2012 at 01:54. Reason: typo

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 120
    #7

    Re: "I am working Atlantic City"

    Quote Originally Posted by BobSmith View Post
    There was one episode called "The Stall" where George is rather infatuated with Elaine's friend Tony, who has very slang-fill speech patterns. One of the things this man says is "I'm down"; George picks it up (probably to fit in, or impress Tony) and starts adding things to it and overusing it (quite humorously): I'm down, I'm totally down, mark me down.

    If I had to guess, I'd say the usage came from "mark me down (on the calendar) because I will be attending".
    Thanks for your answer. You are right, Tony's speaking is very hard for me to understand...but I am keeping trying to hear and understand what he says. Could I ask one more question in your writing? You said that "George picks it up"..but I can't understand the meaning of "pick it up" and what it is referring to. Also, what does mean "to fit in" ?

    Thank you!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 120
    #8

    Re: "I am working Atlantic City"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post
    Without context or tone of voice, it could mean any number of things... the speaker could be "down" on the list of people who is travelling, or "down" in the sense of "depressed", or "down" in the (colloquial) sense of "cool and hip and trendy", or even - since Atlantic City is famous for gambling - "down" in the sense of having made a financial loss. If you go gambling and make a profit you can say you are "up on the night" or if you make a loss you are "down on the night". Actually that applies to many types of financial transactions including, for example, the sale of property.

    Do you have a link to a video of the episode in question? We could probably tell more if we saw it ourselves.

    Very helpful. Thanks. I don't have the video link but I think I understood..Thanks!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #9

    Re: "I am working Atlantic City"

    Quote Originally Posted by layla0302 View Post
    Thanks for your answer. You are right, Tony's speaking is very hard for me to understand...but I am keeping trying to hear and understand what he says. Could I ask one more question in your writing? You said that "George picks it up"..but I can't understand the meaning of "pick it up" and what it is referring to. Also, what does mean "to fit in" ?

    Thank you!
    He begins to act like Tony. He "picks up" the language and manners of Tony and begins to emulate them. He does it to "fit in," meaning to be accepted by Tony as a "cool guy."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 902
    #10

    Re: "I am working Atlantic City"

    Quote Originally Posted by layla0302 View Post
    Thanks for your answer. You are right, Tony's speaking is very hard for me to understand.
    Step OFF George!

    Yeah, George, STEP OFF!


    I can probably quote most of Seinfeld

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2010, 12:41
  2. "Future Work" v.s. "Recommendations" - a technical writing question
    By qmqmqm in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Apr-2009, 16:02
  3. An argumentative thesis for the topic "Parks and the City"?
    By hugsandkisses in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2008, 04:17
  4. Does "to be ahorse" work as synonym of "to be successful"?
    By goodmasterInfo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Jun-2008, 14:14
  5. Why do we use "At" the City Plaza not "in&quo
    By Helped Wanted in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-Feb-2004, 09:07

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •