Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is it a right expression? "I am working Atlantic City?"

In a drama called "Seinfeld", a guy say that sentence.

I just think that there should be "in" or "on" after "working" : I am working in Atlantic City

I know he surely means "I am going to Atlantic City to work"...I am confused.

Also, another guy says "I am going to Atlantic City!! I am down!!"

What does "I am down" mean in that expression?

Thanks you in advance

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

In a drama called "Seinfeld", a guy say that sentence.

I just think that there should be "in" or "on" after "working" : I am working in Atlantic City

I know he surely means "I am going to Atlantic City to work"...I am confused.

Without context it's hard to be sure, but sometimes the verb "to work" can be used with a direct object to imply that someone is going to manipulate the object in some way, possibly to get something out of it (literally or figuratively).

That meaning comes across in the way comedians are often said to "work the room" which means to react to the audience and tailor the jokes to them to get the best reactions. If the person speaking was an entertainer, that might be meant. Salesmen are sometimes referred to as "working their customers" too.

layla0302

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yes! the person who speaks that word is a comedian (talker)!! Thanks for your answer! how about the other one? "I am down?" Could you help me about that one?

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes! the person who speaks that word is a comedian (talker)!! Thanks for your answer! how about the other one? "I am down?" Could you help me about that one?

Without context or tone of voice, it could mean any number of things... the speaker could be "down" on the list of people who is travelling, or "down" in the sense of "depressed", or "down" in the (colloquial) sense of "cool and hip and trendy", or even - since Atlantic City is famous for gambling - "down" in the sense of having made a financial loss. If you go gambling and make a profit you can say you are "up on the night" or if you make a loss you are "down on the night". Actually that applies to many types of financial transactions including, for example, the sale of property.

Do you have a link to a video of the episode in question? We could probably tell more if we saw it ourselves.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He's "down" for the trip, meaning basically that he wants to go to Atlantic City. It's slang for "mark me down" (on the list of people going).

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

In a [strike]drama[/strike] comedy called "Seinfeld", a guy say that sentence.
What does "I am down" mean in that expression?

There was one episode called "The Stall" where George is rather infatuated with Elaine's friend Tony, who has very slang-filled speech patterns. One of the things this man says is "I'm down"; George picks it up (probably to fit in, or impress Tony) and starts adding things to it and overusing it (quite humorously): I'm down, I'm totally down, mark me down.

If I had to guess, I'd say the usage came from "mark me down (on the calendar) because I will be attending".

Last edited:

layla0302

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
There was one episode called "The Stall" where George is rather infatuated with Elaine's friend Tony, who has very slang-fill speech patterns. One of the things this man says is "I'm down"; George picks it up (probably to fit in, or impress Tony) and starts adding things to it and overusing it (quite humorously): I'm down, I'm totally down, mark me down.

If I had to guess, I'd say the usage came from "mark me down (on the calendar) because I will be attending".

Thanks for your answer. You are right, Tony's speaking is very hard for me to understand...but I am keeping trying to hear and understand what he says. Could I ask one more question in your writing? You said that "George picks it up"..but I can't understand the meaning of "pick it up" and what it is referring to. Also, what does mean "to fit in" ?

Thank you!

layla0302

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Without context or tone of voice, it could mean any number of things... the speaker could be "down" on the list of people who is travelling, or "down" in the sense of "depressed", or "down" in the (colloquial) sense of "cool and hip and trendy", or even - since Atlantic City is famous for gambling - "down" in the sense of having made a financial loss. If you go gambling and make a profit you can say you are "up on the night" or if you make a loss you are "down on the night". Actually that applies to many types of financial transactions including, for example, the sale of property.

Do you have a link to a video of the episode in question? We could probably tell more if we saw it ourselves.

Very helpful. Thanks. I don't have the video link but I think I understood..Thanks!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your answer. You are right, Tony's speaking is very hard for me to understand...but I am keeping trying to hear and understand what he says. Could I ask one more question in your writing? You said that "George picks it up"..but I can't understand the meaning of "pick it up" and what it is referring to. Also, what does mean "to fit in" ?

Thank you!

He begins to act like Tony. He "picks up" the language and manners of Tony and begins to emulate them. He does it to "fit in," meaning to be accepted by Tony as a "cool guy."

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your answer. You are right, Tony's speaking is very hard for me to understand.

Step OFF George!

Yeah, George, STEP OFF!

I can probably quote most of Seinfeld ;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Step OFF George!

Yeah, George, STEP OFF!

I can probably quote most of Seinfeld ;-)

What are you doing manana?

Manana I'm doing nada.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He begins to act like Tony. He "picks up" the language and manners of Tony and begins to emulate them. He does it to "fit in," meaning to be accepted by Tony as a "cool guy."

Yes, exactly. Notice how George turns his hat backwards like Tony wears his. And his love for sandwiches (or at least George's perception of that). "What? Whatever George!"

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I knew there was a TV show called Seinfeld but I've never seen it.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

I have rarely watched American TV shows. I have watched some of the CSI shows recently though and I've started watching "Homeland", I like both. I prefer watching the BBC channels, good programmes, no commercials. :)

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have rarely watched American TV shows. I have watched some of the CSI shows recently though and I've started watching "Homeland", I like both. I prefer watching the BBC channels, good programmes, no commercials. :)

But only 6-8 shows* a season? That's insane!

*This is my understanding, after watching shows like The Office, Extras, Outcasts, etc.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

*This is my understanding, after watching shows like The Office, Extras, Outcasts, etc.

Try Sherlock, they think a "season" is three shows. *sobs*

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

There is something to the British way of being able to have one writer tell his story in a succinct way without necessarily worrying about whether he will have to come up with 4 or 5 seasons' worth of material.

People can die and stories can end. There is no endless decline in quality as new babies and new characters are introduced just to keep an old franchise going. See the US version of "The Office." Had its heyday, running on fumes now.

Mind you, I like a 13 story or 22 story season if they have a good tale to tell.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Outcasts had just found its legs, IMO, and then the season ended, and then the series was terminated. I can't imagine what Tullia mentioned... only 3?

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Outcasts had just found its legs, IMO, and then the season ended, and then the series was terminated. I can't imagine what Tullia mentioned... only 3?

Oh but what three episodes they were! We've had two seasons now too. They are well worth watching if you can find them online or get hold of the DVDs. I read recently that they're planning a "modern" Sherlock in the US as well, but with Lucy Liu playing Watson. I find it very hard to imagine how that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.