Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
hi , I began to study linguistic and as I learned I realized that my accent is all american...
However. teachers strictly insist on british english :( so I need to watch british movies and read classic novels written by biritish writers....COULD YOU RECOMMEND ME ANY BRİTİSH MOVİES THAT HAVE EXCELLENT BRITISH ACCENT ? (the books also ) :roll:

JulieLeFleur

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
United States
I may sound a little childish, but I always believe the Harry Potter movies are great for following British English :)

Here are a few more options for you:

Mansfield Park
Emma
Notting Hill
Sliding Doors

Please be aware that there are movies that use very old accents (like in the movie My Fair Lady). You should avoid those movies. Also, watch out for comedy ones. England is a country where accents widely vary from places to places, so with a wrong movie, you may end up mixing up ancient British accent with a mix of northern English accent ;-)

Good luck!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
hi , I began to study linguistic and as I learned I realized that my accent is all american...
However. teachers strictly insist on british english :( so I need to watch british movies and read classic novels written by biritish writers....COULD YOU RECOMMEND ME ANY BRİTİSH MOVİES THAT HAVE EXCELLENT BRITISH ACCENT ? (the books also ) :roll:

Reading British fiction will not give you a British accent. You could consider downloading some audiobooks though, but make sure that the reader is British, not the author. (You normally have to pay for them).
My favourite source is Download Audio Books with Audible.com Online Digital Audio Book Store.

andur92

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I may sound a little childish, but I always believe the Harry Potter movies are great for following British English :)

I agree with you!

Well, I think any English movie would work if you have the subtitles. :)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's apples and oranges, I'm afraid. There are regional variations in North America, but TV and movies from the US have a pretty monolithic single accent, excepting cowboy shows.

The UK, on the other hand, has a different accent every six miles (ever 2 in London), according to Professor Higgins.

So it would be a mistake to expect to look for "a British accent" on British shows.

But you probably want RP, so I suggest the show "Yes, Minister" and "Downton Abbey."

Here are a few more options for you:

Mansfield Park
Emma
Notting Hill
Sliding Doors

Please be aware that there are movies that use very old accents (like in the movie My Fair Lady). You should avoid those movies. Also, watch out for comedy ones. England is a country where accents widely vary from places to places, so with a wrong movie, you may end up mixing up ancient British accent with a mix of northern English accent ;-)

Good luck!

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
" Miss Potter"
"Pride and the prejudice"
are two films with British accent.
Good Luck!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The UK, on the other hand, has a different accent every six miles (ever 2 in London), according to Professor Higgins.

Watching Pygmalion or My Fair Lady might be a good way to see some of this variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.