Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The coach is complaining to his dead friend, a ghost about what happened long time ago while he was alive. The ghost got killed in a car accident, and "shot up" and "jack yourself up" are all translated as "drinking much", does it mean something different or is the translation correct?

gw2-10
coach- I remember that one game when you shot up. We were right here in Grandview. Said it was just once,
just to see if it would help give you an edge, get us into the playoffs, and you got us in, I guess,
but I never really felt right about it. I never felt like we really won that game.

Everybody else always remembers what a great game it was. Not me. Then you'd jack yourself up another time and another time,

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The coach is complaining to his dead friend, a ghost about what happened long time ago while he was alive. The ghost got killed in a car accident, and "shot up" and "jack yourself up" are all translated as "drinking much", does it mean something different or is the translation correct?

gw2-10
coach- I remember that one game when you shot up. We were right here in Grandview. Said it was just once,
just to see if it would help give you an edge, get us into the playoffs, and you got us in, I guess,
but I never really felt right about it. I never felt like we really won that game.

Everybody else always remembers what a great game it was. Not me. Then you'd jack yourself up another time and another time,

They are references to illegal drugs being taken intravenously, not to alcohol.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's steroids, taken illegally to make players grow bigger and stronger.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know if it's steroids which are chronic and wouldn't be "just the one time." I wonder instead of it was uppers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say that he injected himself with heroin, to see what effect it had on his game.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On second thought, don't see that steroids would do much taken "just once." Probably either a painkiller or an upper.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never heard the phrase "sho(o)t up" used to refer to anything except injecting heroin. I can't see one painkiller giving any sportsperson enough of a boost in just one dose on one occasion to get them through to the playoffs of a presumably highly competitive sport.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm pretty sure that a star player who has a bad knee, for example, can benefit from painkillers to get through a game.

In American football, at least, it's not uncommon for a player to go into the locker room with an injury only to return a short while later to rejoin the game.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, regardless, we're talking about the use of a drug in a manner that would not be completely appropriate, if at all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm pretty sure that a star player who has a bad knee, for example, can benefit from painkillers to get through a game.

In American football, at least, it's not uncommon for a player to go into the locker room with an injury only to return a short while later to rejoin the game.

I agree that that is entirely possible in any sport but the way the sentence is worded suggests that the player did something that the coach didn't approve of ("I never really felt right about it. I never felt like we really won that game"), and that the player was a little defensive about ("Said it was just once"). I can't imagine two people (or one person and a ghost) having what appears to be a quite important and relevant conversation about something as tame as taking a painkiller.

If "to shoot up" is used for other drugs in AmE then my understanding may be a bit off. I realise that the dictionary definition says that it's just "to inject a drug with a hypodermic syringe" but it's become synonymous with illegal drugs, specifically heroin.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The player wasn't under a doctor's supervision, he was giving himself some sort of injecting. That's illegal and "shooting up." I agree that heroin is the most common use of the phrase.

Status
Not open for further replies.