about or of

Can you give me an explanation of when to use about and when to use of? I have been doing one of the quiizzes on here, and while I more or less know which is correct, I can't for the life of me explain why I would use which one. I have looked in some grammar bokos, and they give a lot of explanations, but not of this instance, please can you help me? Thankyou.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: about or of

Know of = know the name, some basic facts
    Know about = kow a lot more

Generally, 'about' is greater/more detailed than 'of' where the two can be used.

Thank you, but that doesn't really help with some of the instances in the quiz where you choose of or about. For instance, He complained (of/about) chest pains. Does this song remind you (about/of) anything? The neighbours complained (about/of how loud the music was. Didn't they warn you (about/of trying that? It's strange, the chest pains, is the only one where i think either could really be used, and the others i wouldn't get wrong, but I don't know why. Help..

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

The first is a usage- you complain of an illness, though even this fits the pattern in that you are indicating discomfort. The second fits the pattern- songs would give you a brief indication. The third and fourth fit the pattern- you give information in both cases.

Thanks so much, you really are a gem. I'd be lost wothout your help!!

oooops without.... typing error!!!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I'm no stranger to those- it's funny how they only look wrong once they've been posted.

Glad you understand. I would like to thank you so much for your dedication to this site, and helping others. It has been so helpful to me. I am English, but live in Belgium now, and so people have asked me to teach them English, but really, I don't have "real" teachng skills. Saying that, the "students" keep coming, so I must be doing something right!! However, I am not always able to give an explanation on some parts of grammar, and have often referred to the teachers here for help. The tests are really good, and I often use them too. So thanks to all of you.
    Val

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Thanks. If there's stuff you think is missing, do let me know and I'l try to fill in the gaps.