Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello, if I want to ask somebody if they're free tonight, there's a lot of ways of saying that. I came up with four and tried to order them from the most polite one to the least polite one. Could you check them for me please? Are they ordered from the most polite one to the least polite one? Are all of them natural? Supposing they're used in the right context.

1. I wondered if you were free tonight. (the most polite of them)
2. I was wondering if you were free tonight.
3. I wonder, are you free tonight?
4. I'm wondering, are you free tonight? (the least polite of them)

I'm especially unsure of the second and third one. I'm not sure if past simple progressive is more polite/definite than present simple. e.g.: I was thinking that we could go out tonight. vs. I think that we could go out tonight.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm wondering if you're putting too much thought into this.

The point is to use one degree of distance from the question you are trying to act like you're not asking.

I wouldn't say that any of your 4 forms are more or less "polite than the others." 2 is the most natural to me, followed by 4. 1 seems odd to me in the past tense.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you Dave for your answer. I got that idea from Michael Swan's Practical Grammar in Use from a chapter where he explains these differences, but doesn't put all of them in contrast.
Does anybody think otherwise? Or likewise?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, if I want to ask somebody if they're free tonight, there's a lot of ways of saying that. I came up with four and tried to order them from the most polite one to the least polite one. Could you check them for me please? Are they ordered from the most polite one to the least polite one? Are all of them natural? Supposing they're used in the right context.

1. I wondered if you were free tonight. (the most polite of them)
2. I was wondering if you were free tonight.
3. I wonder, are you free tonight?
4. I'm wondering, are you free tonight? (the least polite of them)

I'm especially unsure of the second and third one. I'm not sure if past simple progressive is more polite/definite than present simple. e.g.: I was thinking that we could go out tonight. vs. I think that we could go out tonight.

As far as I'm concerned, your four examples have about the same degree of politeness or otherwise. I don't feel any difference between "I wonder" and "I'm wondering", or "I was thinking" and "I think".

Formal: May I enquire if you have any free time this evening?
Neither formal nor informal: Are you free tonight?
Informal: Doing anything tonight?

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you, that's what I wanted to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.