Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Why do we say a hobby and an hour? Both words start with the same letter 'h'. Why do we use different forms of the indefinite article a/an? Is there any rule I'm not familiar with? Thanks

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The a/an difference is based on the way the following word sounds, not how it is spelled. The H is pronounced in hobby, but it's silent in hour. If you go to an online dictionary that has pronunciation, you can hear the two words.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some words starting with "h", when spoken, don't sound the "h" at all. You will probably have to just gradually learn them as you stumble across them. Here are a few examples (BrE):

an hour (pron. "our")
an heir (pron. "air")
an honour (pron. "onner")

No doubt, if this thread continues, the usual argument over the word "hotel" will spring up! ;-)

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[AmE - not a teacher]

I won't mention "hotel", but I've seen debates about "historic" ;-)

And, I've heard "herb" with and without the "H" sound, and off the top of my head, I don't know which is correct!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Herb is a person. Herb is a flavoring. The "h" is pronounced only in the former.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Herb is a person. Herb is a flavoring. The "h" is pronounced only in the former.
No, that is AmE. Most of us pronounce the 'h' in herb (I mean in most countries, perhaps not numerically).
I'm pretty sure that most men called Herb are also American.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, that is AmE. Most of us pronounce the 'h' in herb (I mean in most countries, perhaps not numerically).

Bob is American according to his profile, so I was answering with that I mind.

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
OUT OF CURIOSITY:

Having learnt English mostly in Ireland, I've always pronounced AITCH with an H at the start as most speakers of Irish English would do that. While working in N.Z. I was pointed out by one fellow-teacher that AITCHES don't take an H in their pronunciation. So I investigated the matter and came across this theory whereby in the south of Ireland (the Republic) people tend to pronounce the H whereas only Catholic speakers would in the North. Only at that stage I remembered reading a short story when I was at school about how Northern Irish children would be able to figure out whether a child would be Protestant or Catholic by saying the alphabet out loud while playing together in the playground.
I just find that amazing and sad at the same time.
Shan

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my own defense, I do watch a lot of BBC ;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OUT OF CURIOSITY:

Having learnt English mostly in Ireland, I've always pronounced AITCH with an H at the start as most speakers of Irish English would do that. While working in N.Z. I was pointed out by one fellow-teacher that AITCHES don't take an H in their pronunciation. So I investigated the matter and came across this theory whereby in the south of Ireland (the Republic) people tend to pronounce the H whereas only Catholic speakers would in the North. Only at that stage I remembered reading a short story when I was at school about how Northern Irish children would be able to figure out whether a child would be Protestant or Catholic by saying the alphabet out loud while playing together in the playground.
I just find that amazing and sad at the same time.
Shan

Do you mean people pronounce the letter "H" when reciting the alphabet as "Haitch"?

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Yes, exactly.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's news to me. I guess it's less weird than calling a "zee" a "zed."

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And strangely, "Zed" is also a male name.

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Actually, there's been a very interesting UE poll about AITCH or HAITCH Poll: I pronounce the letter 'H'... - Language Polls - UsingEnglish.com and I found this

"there's an old story that when the British army came to Northern Ireland in the 70s, they weren't able to tell the unionists from the nationalists. So when they stopped and searched anyone, they'd get them to recite the alphabet - an 'aitch' meant they were questioning a unionist, a 'haitch' meant they had a nationalist.
Growing up in Ireland, I learned to be very wary of the eighth letter of the alphabet, it can give away a lot of information about you!" (Georgie)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The pronunciation of "h" as "haitch" instead of "aitch" is one of those things that really grates on me and I find it very difficult not to correct it when I hear it!

As far as "herb" vs "erb" is concerned, that is definitely a BrE vs AmE difference. The first time I was in a restaurant in America and I was asked if I would some "erb bread" (that's what I heard) with my dinner, I genuinely didn't know what I was being offered. The poor waitress repeated it three times before realisation dawned and I shrieked "Ohhhhhh, HHHHHHerb bread!" Then it was her turn to look confused.

Last edited:

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Oh my - it's 17h26. Happy hour !

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Most people pronounce the h in BrE. Here in the Philippines, I have heard it without.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As far as "herb" vs "erb" is concerned, that is definitely a BrE vs AmE difference. The first time I was in a restaurant in America and I was asked if I would some "erb bread" (that's what I heard) with my dinner, I genuinely didn't know what I was being offered. The poor waitress repeated it three times before realisation dawned and I shrieked "Ohhhhhh, HHHHHHerb bread!" Then it was her turn to look confused.

That's a great story. When I was in London, during breakfast I vaguely remember being quite confused by the waitress's query regarding they type of bread (or toast?) I wanted. IIRC, she asked something like, “do you prefer light or dark?” or perhaps, “do you prefer black or white?” It’s been some years now, and I can’t quite remember what the phrase was. Perhaps someone across the pond is familiar with the phrase she used?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Actually, there's been a very interesting UE poll about AITCH or HAITCH Poll: I pronounce the letter 'H'... - Language Polls - UsingEnglish.com and I found this

"there's an old story that when the British army came to Northern Ireland in the 70s, they weren't able to tell the unionists from the nationalists. So when they stopped and searched anyone, they'd get them to recite the alphabet - an 'aitch' meant they were questioning a unionist, a 'haitch' meant they had a nationalist.
Growing up in Ireland, I learned to be very wary of the eighth letter of the alphabet, it can give away a lot of information about you!" (Georgie)

It's astonishing how strongly people feel about this. It makes If I was/were you look positively tame.

Status
Not open for further replies.