• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

What does "study" mean?

Context:

On the other hand, the magnitude and difficulty of the trust to which the voice of my country called me, being sufficient to awaken in the wisest and most experienced of her citizens a distrustful scrutiny into his qualifications, could not but overwhelm with despondence one who (inheriting inferior endowments from nature and unpracticed in the duties of civil administration) ought to be peculiarly conscious of his own deficiencies. In this conflict of emotions all I dare aver is that it has been my faithful study to collect my duty from a just appreciation of every circumstance by which it might be affected. All I dare hope is that if, in executing this task, I have been too much swayed by a grateful remembrance of former instances, or by an affectionate sensibility to this transcendent proof of the confidence of my fellow-citizens, and have thence too little consulted my incapacity as well as disinclination for the weighty and untried cares before me, my error will be palliated by the motives which mislead me, and its consequences be judged by my country with some share of the partiality in which they originated.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: What does "study" mean?

I'm afraid I can't help you. Who wrote this and when was it written? This very stilted paragraph engenders many questions in my mind, aside from the word 'study'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    I'm afraid I can't help you. Who wrote this and when was it written? This very stilted paragraph engenders many questions in my mind, aside from the word 'study'.
    By George Washington

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

I'd say that "study", as used here by Washington, is an antiquated use of a word similar to "task". The entire speech is difficult reading for those of us in the 21st century. I suppose that this would be true for any document written in any language 223 years ago.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by JohnParis View Post
    I'd say that "study", as used here by Washington, is an antiquated use of a word similar to "task". The entire speech is difficult reading for those of us in the 21st century. I suppose that this would be true for any document written in any language 223 years ago.
    Excellent!
    Thank you.