Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 1,049
    #1

    buildup = combination?

    Context:

    We've seen this movie before: a frenzied buildup punctuated by constant speculation. And then Apple actually announces the object behind all the fuss in this particular sequel the latest iPad, which goes on sale Friday.

    More

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,843
    #2

    Re: buildup = combination?

    No, it's similar to "accumulation". The "buildup" to the launch of the new iPad consisted of little rumours a couple of months ago, then more specific speculation in the press, then the announcement of the date of the announcement, then lots of websites and Apple geeks getting very excited, then finally the actual announcement on stage by Apple. The stories started quietly and slowly then built up in excitement and anticipiation leading to a frenzy in the last few days before the official announcement. The whole series of rumours, stories, speculation over a period of time amounted to the buildup.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 1,049
    #3

    Re: buildup = combination?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    No, it's similar to "accumulation". The "buildup" to the launch of the new iPad consisted of little rumours a couple of months ago, then more specific speculation in the press, then the announcement of the date of the announcement, then lots of websites and Apple geeks getting very excited, then finally the actual announcement on stage by Apple. The stories started quietly and slowly then built up in excitement and anticipiation leading to a frenzy in the last few days before the official announcement. The whole series of rumours, stories, speculation over a period of time amounted to the buildup.
    Well, the USAToday's report seems to imply that after the death of Jobs no ingenious new product of Apple can be produced to public..

    Is it so?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #4

    Re: buildup = combination?

    Quote Originally Posted by NewHopeR View Post
    Well, the USAToday's report seems to imply that after the death of Jobs no ingenious new product of Apple can be produced to public..

    Is it so?
    Time will tell. The Ipad 3 seems to be only an incremental improvement over the 2, nothing to really "wow" people.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,843
    #5

    Re: buildup = combination?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Time will tell. The Ipad 3 seems to be only an incremental improvement over the 2, nothing to really "wow" people.
    I agree that time will tell. However, I have to point out that there is no iPad 3 yet. The iPad they just announced is officially called "The New iPad", it's not the 3. The general thinking is that the reason they didn't call it the 3 is because it only has those incremental improvements and they're saving the WOW factor for the iPad 3 at some point in the future.

    I think a lot of people believe that Steve Jobs' death put a big grey cloud over any Apple announcement and for now, that may well be true. That might be another reason why they've only made slight improvements to the iPad. Perhaps they want people to get used to announcements which aren't made by Steve Jobs. It seems the Apple world isn't yet ready to accept his death as a reality so maybe when some time has passed, people will accept spectacular announcements from the company without him.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #6

    Re: buildup = combination?

    I didn't realize till you said it that Apple did not name the product as everyone expected. I didn't see that in any of the articles I saw on the subject.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,843
    #7

    Re: buildup = combination?

    I was listening to the live webcast of the announcement. Most of the commentators thought that they were simply referring to it as "the new iPad" for the majority of the event but that at the last moment they were going to "officially" call it the iPad 3. They did not - they had been using its official name throughout. That's the danger of all the speculative hype and rumour before the announcement - everyone just assumed it was going to be the iPad 3 announcement.

Similar Threads

  1. traded the combination
    By unpakwon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Dec-2011, 12:24
  2. /ɜ/ , /ər/, /tn/ combination . /dn/ combination
    By DontBanMe in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-May-2011, 05:47
  3. [Grammar] sentence combination
    By contiluo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2010, 16:03
  4. [Grammar] preposition combination
    By nono1994 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2009, 17:18
  5. [Grammar] Word Combination
    By Gunilla in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2009, 19:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •