Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Thailand
Can one also have a pet peeve about oneself, like : "My pet peeve is that I can't stop talking." Correct?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Logically, there's no reason why not, but it sounds strange to me.

birgit33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Thailand
Logically, there's no reason why not, but it sounds strange to me.

So normally pet peeves are about other people's shortcomings?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So normally pet peeves are about other people's shortcomings?

[AmE - not a teacher]

I would say yes, always about someone else. Also, pet peeves are supposed to be with issues that most others do not find annoying.

birgit33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Thailand
[AmE - not a teacher]

I would say yes, always about someone else. Also, pet peeves are supposed to be with issues that most others do not find annoying.

Aren't there common pet peeves, which many people don't like? For example, pet peeves like people who don't answer phone calls, or don't reply to emails, dogs barking late at night, or people who jump queues? Or aren't these things "pet peeves"?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Aren't there common pet peeves, which many people don't like? For example, pet peeves like people who don't answer phone calls, or don't reply to emails, dogs barking late at night, or people who jump queues? Or aren't these things "pet peeves"?

IMO, these are exactly things that are not (or should not be considered) pet peeves. But, like everything else in spoken language, it is fungible.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
A perusal of 'pet peeve' at OneLook Dictionary Search seems to confirm that all of those cited above by birgit33 fit the definition.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A perusal of 'pet peeve' at OneLook Dictionary Search seems to confirm that all of those cited above by birgit33 fit the definition.

Perhaps you could provide a citation, because the first 8 links I got on onelook matched none of those examples (and indeed, the examples at wordnik were rather specific to the speaker). In fact, one of the links was to wikipedia which seems to bolster my opinion: "A pet peeve (or pet hate) is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to him or her, to a greater degree than others may find it." (emphasis mine) Pet peeve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Perhaps you could provide a citation, because the first 8 links I got on onelook matched none of those examples (and indeed, the examples at wordnik were rather specific to the speaker). In fact, one of the links was to wikipedia which seems to bolster my opinion: "A pet peeve (or pet hate) is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to him or her, to a greater degree than others may find it." (emphasis mine) Pet peeve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you consider Wikipedia the last word on everything? I can't see how you can dismiss all the examples in post #5. Your interpretation of the OneLook citations seems to be different from mine. The fact that a pet peeve may be a personal dislike does not necessarily mean that others do not find it annoying. One of my pet peeves is people who rearrange their hair at the table in restaurants. While some may tolerate this activity, others may not. IMO, it certainly qualifies as a pet peeve.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you consider Wikipedia the last word on everything? I can't see how you can dismiss all the examples in post #5. Your interpretation of the OneLook citations seems to be different from mine. The fact that a pet peeve may be a personal dislike does not necessarily mean that others do not find it annoying. One of my pet peeves is people who rearrange their hair at the table in restaurants. While some may tolerate this activity, others may not. IMO, it certainly qualifies as a pet peeve.

I'm asking about your OneLook Dictionary Search, which included the Wikipedia reference. It's pretty lazy to provide a vague reference to an aggregated search. I clicked through the first eight of them, and none of them confirmed what you posted, IMO. Asking for further explanation is a pretty normal thing, in my book.

I can't see how you can't see how I can dismiss them. I explained my interpretation. Everyone is annoyed by those examples in post #5. You're free to disagree with my interpretation.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I think that the key here is "IMO." I clicked through them as well and interpreted them differently. Calling me lazy does not further your cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.