Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

An example sentence:
"Secret copies of personal journals that were the property of Finnbar Brenneisen, is about to be published"
In the sentence above, [that were the property ..] --> is about the journals

Query:
1. How would the sentence shape up if instead of journals, this phrase [that were the property ..] was to talk bout the copies and [copies of personal journals] is also to be maintained.

An example of a sentence i wanna phrase:
Secret copy of <something 1>, [that is the property of <some noun 2>], is about to be published.
Now how do I know if [that is the property of <some noun 2>] is talking about <something 1> or about [secret copy]

Thanks in advance.
DA

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Ok, I take another example:
"Secret copies of journals, that were thought to have been lost, are available now."

1. In the sentence above, [that were thought to have been lost] - does this phrase talk about the "copies" or is the "journals"?
2. Pls write a sentences each if the phrase - [that were thought to have been lost] was to talk about
(i) about copies
(ii) journals

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sometimes context helps you figure it out. Sometimes it's ambiguous.

If I say "I need to replace my replica of the Mona Lisa which was destroyed in a fire" you probably mean the replica was destroyed in a fire.

If I say "I have been able to find a replica of the Mona Lisa, which was destroyed in a fire." you probably mean the original was destroyed.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Secret copies of personal journals that were the property of Finnbar Brenneisen, are about to be published." ("Are" refers to "copies".)

An example of a sentence I [STRIKE]wanna[/STRIKE] want to phrase:
A secret copy of <something 1>, [that is the property of <some noun 2>], is about to be published.

Please note the amendments I have made to your original post.
Remember to always capitalise the word "I".
Please do not use textspeak (wanna). All words should be written out in full please.

Status
Not open for further replies.