Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Yemen
Current Location
Malaysia
You ___________ have handed the work in today. The deadline has been extended until next week.
Choose one answer.

a. needn’t
b. can’t
c. shouldn’t
d. mustn’t
I think it is shouldn't but not sure

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
You ___________ have handed the work in today. The deadline has been extended until next week.
Choose one answer.
a. needn’t
b. can’t
c. shouldn’t
d. mustn’t

No, try again.

zaedsul

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Yemen
Current Location
Malaysia

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Choose one answer.
a. needn’t
b. can’t
c. shouldn’t
d. mustn’t

I think a. and c. are acceptable. But I suspect that a. would be the choice in BrE. In AmE I would infer that "needn't" suggests that it wasn't necessary perhaps because of some previous notification, whereas "shouldn't suggests that in the speaker's opinion it wasn't necessary. A narrow distinction but a difference nevertheless.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't support "shouldn't" as a good answer, even though "needn't" isn't used much in the US. (We would be more likely to say "You didn't have to hand in..."

But "shouldn't" implies that there was something WRONG with turning it in, instead of simply being unnecessary.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't support "shouldn't" as a good answer, even though "needn't" isn't used much in the US. (We would be more likely to say "You didn't have to hand in..."

But "shouldn't" implies that there was something WRONG with turning it in, instead of simply being unnecessary.

i think "needn't" was probably the answer that they were looking for.

But, if I was working on something with a deadline, the product I turn in might change if I have another week to work on it. So I might tell someone that they shouldn't have turned it in.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Needn't" is the only one that works for me if we assume that the question simply dealt with a standard deadline for something like handing in a college essay. Most people don't hand in a piece of work until they need to (ie until there is almost no time left before the deadline).

As Barb said, "shouldn't" suggests that you have done something wrong which isn't the case.
"Can't" would express disbelief. "You can't have handed it in today. You hadn't even started it last night!"
"You mustn't have handed it in ..." simply isn't natural English, no matter what the context is.

Status
Not open for further replies.