Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:
The assault case was dismissed and didn't involve any members of Sgt. Bales's family, Mr. Browne said Friday.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It can be read like that, though many would drop the -iz despite the way it's written.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I read that aloud, what you would hear would be "did not involve any members of Sergeant Bales family".

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If I read that aloud, what you would hear would be "did not involve any members of Sergeant Bales family".

If I read it aloud, it would be the same.

pandovic

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
If you pronounce it as "Sergeant Bales Family" how do you know his name is Bales and not Bale? They are both common surnames. I would always pronounce Bales's as /beilziz/

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
In speech, citation forms are usually heard when they are pitch accented or emphasized. In which case, yes, apply the standard formula (sibilant +'s = sibilant + i + s/z). Besides this, there is another phenomenon, which kinda elides the similar looking syllable.

career center >cur center (check Language Log » Why it can be hard to wreck a nice beach )
social security > so' security (as heard in the financial media)
absolutely right > absly right
Bales's family > Bales family

One can ask "how to distinguish social security from campus security, career center from computer center, Bale's family from Bales's family". You don't need to emphasize these words, if the audience can figure out--this is an easy way of describing. There are books that deal with emphasis, focus (both broad and narrow), and accent. Just because some accent reduction course or ESL book does not describe these phenomena, it doesn't mean that such phenomena do not exist.

Last edited:

pandovic

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Would you ever pronounce the /iz/ - for example, in "that's James's jacket" or "Kate Moss's husband"? James jacket or Kate Moss husband sound like Tarzan-speak to me! Is it a Brit/US thing?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I always pronounce the /ɪz/.

Status