Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does "proceeded to lead them through the set." mean "He physically lead them into the set" or "He directed their acting through a specific scene"? Is it a physical or abstract meaning?

mo3-45
ex) On the first day of shooting for The 39 Steps in 1935, Hitchcock’s two leads, Madeleine Carroll and Robert Donat, arrived on the set feeling a little tense. That day (a)they were to act in one of the movie’s more complex scenes: playing relative strangers who had gotten handcuffed together earlier in the plot and, still handcuffed, were forced to run through the Scottish countryside to escape the film’s villains. Hitchcock had given them no real sign of how he wanted (b)them to act the scene. Carroll in particular was bothered by the director’s behavior.
This English actress, one of the most elegant film stars of the period, had spent much of her career in Hollywood, where directors had treated her like royalty; Hitchcock, on the other hand, was distant, hard to figure out. She had decided to play the scene with an air of dignity, the way she thought a lady would respond to the situation of being handcuffed to a strange man. When Hitchcock arrived on the set, he explained the scene to the two actors, snapped a pair of handcuffs on them, and proceeded to lead them through the set.

Then, in the middle of this demonstration, he was suddenly called away to attend to a technical matter. He would return soon; they should take a break. He felt in his pockets for the key to the handcuffs—but no, he must have mislaid it, and off he hurried, seemingly to find the key. Hours went by. Donat and Carroll became increasingly frustrated and embarrassed.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I thought it may not be difficult for native speakers, but maybe it's a vague expression, so I added more context.

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'd like to conclude "He showed them around the whole set physically".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd like to conclude "He showed them around the whole set physically".

That would be my understanding without any further context to indicate something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.