as the planet moves toward another ice age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In "as the planet moves toward another ice age.", does "as" mean "because" or "when" or "while"?
Considering the whole context, I think it's "because", but I'm not sure as the following reasons seem to say earth's moving is not happening at the moment. I know I have to judge the meaning of "as" depending on context, but it's always hard.

go2mo1-44
ex) In ages past, the Earth passed through a series of ice ages,in which much of the Northern Hemisphere was covered with glaciers. The mild temperatures we’re familiar with occur between ice ages. It is thought that very slight changes in the position of the Earth relative to the sun are behind these shifts in climate. Scientists say that we can expect colder temperatures as the planet moves toward another ice age. But don’t build your igloo yet.
Not only is the next ice age still thousands of years away, it’s possible that it might not arrive at all. Global warming, caused by an increase in carbon dioxide and other gases in the atmosphere, may prevent the next ice age from occurring.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In "as the planet moves toward another ice age.", does "as" mean "because" or "when" or "while"?
Considering the whole context, I think it's "because", but I'm not sure as the following reasons seem to say earth's moving is not happening at the moment. I know I have to judge the meaning of "as" depending on context, but it's always hard.

go2mo1-44
ex) In ages past, the Earth passed through a series of ice ages,in which much of the Northern Hemisphere was covered with glaciers. The mild temperatures we’re familiar with occur between ice ages. It is thought that very slight changes in the position of the Earth relative to the sun are behind these shifts in climate. Scientists say that we can expect colder temperatures as the planet moves toward another ice age. But don’t build your igloo yet.
Not only is the next ice age still thousands of years away, it’s possible that it might not arrive at all. Global warming, caused by an increase in carbon dioxide and other gases in the atmosphere, may prevent the next ice age from occurring.

Here, it's "while".

Over/During the period of time that the planet is moving towards the next ice age, temperatures will get lower.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! And does it mean a general phoenomeon that might or might not happen or the planet's moving actually?

And this might be a simple question. I thought "while" for "as" is when two actions happen simultaneously, but "when" for "as" is kind of vague, not that distinguished from "while" for "as", for exmple, the following "as" is interpreted as "when", but how is it different from "while"?
ex)As I got on the bus, I felt really tired from the day's work.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And does it mean a general phoenomeon that might or might not happen or the planet's moving actually?

That answer is more a political one than one of language. It certainly seems that the author of this text believes that the planet is moving towards a new ice age. Unless "global warming" prevents it.

Status
Not open for further replies.