Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If you are a guy and call your guy friend "my boyfriend" while talking to others like "I met my boyfriend yesterday", wouldn't you sound a gay? Does it ever happen or is it quite awkward?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If you are a guy and call your guy friend "my boyfriend" while talking to others like "I met my boyfriend yesterday", wouldn't you sound a gay? Does it ever happen or is it quite awkward?

It would only work if you are both gay.

meskete

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Well, yes, if you say "my boyfriend", it's your only one.:lol:
I prefer to say "a friend of mine", no matter if it's a man or a woman.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a strange double-standard, but a female can say "I had lunch with one of my girlfriends" or even "I went shopping with my girlfriend" and there is no assumption that she means a romantic partner. A male cannot do this.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's a strange double-standard, but a female can say "I had lunch with one of my girlfriends" or even "I went shopping with my girlfriend" and there is no assumption that she means a romantic partner. A male cannot do this.

I think that's more acceptable to an AmE ear than my BrE one. I do hear "girlfriends" used but mostly on American TV shows I think.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that's more acceptable to an AmE ear than my BrE one. I do hear "girlfriends" used but mostly on American TV shows I think.

What would females in Britain say? Their mates?

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

"Mates" sounds more masculine. If we're talking about a group, we might just say "out with the girls", but there are probably regional variations of course.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

We don't really have a way of differentiating between the genders when talking about mere friends.

I met a friend for lunch yesterday.
Oooooh, really? Male or female?
Oh, one of the girls. It was Jane.

I met a friend for lunch yesterday.
Really? Who?
John.

We are starting to hear "girlfriend" used to refer to a female friend but I think the vast majority of Brits would still assume that a female referring to her "girlfriend" would be a lesbian and therefore referring to her female romantic partner. If she said "I met a girlfriend for lunch yesterday" we would be less likely to assume she was a lesbian but the word would still sound slightly unnatural.

With the usual double standards that exist in language, I don't think either AmE or BrE allows for a male to say "my/a boyfriend" without a clear suggestion that he is gay and therefore referring to a male romantic partner.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm really sorry, by the way, this is quite out of the subject, but could you tell me what you meant by "would" in "What would females in Britain say?"? Was it presumption or conditional or curiousity?
If it's a conditional, then it would mean "If the people who heard it were females in Britain, what would they say?"

Status
Not open for further replies.