Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The "psychic" here seems to mean merely "psychological", which is defined as a rare meaning of "psychic" in the dictionary. So does it only mean such a rare definition, not "spiritual, supernatural"?

gi148
ex) According to Russian psychologist Bluma Zeigarnick, people are more likely to recall unfinished tasks than completed ones. This is called the Zeigarnick effect. ...She noted the waiter could remember a large number of items ordered by his customers. However, the moment he had delivered the meals to the customers, he would forget what he had served them. From this experience, Zeigarnick thorized that an unfinished task creates "psychic tension."

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

The article is making use of the 'rare' definition of 'psychic' as you have stated above. However, I wouldn't call it a rare definition though. I would call it a more 'scholarly' definition.

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's a common term in Freudian psychology, and there, it is thought of as biomechanical (laughably, in my view).

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I thought psychic tension was what happened to charlatans when they are being tested by James Randi.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Before reading the quotation, I had thought of the phrase "psychic pain", which is not paranormal in anyway. I believe it's the same as "psychic tension".

Status
Not open for further replies.