Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
These words are not in any dictionaries but I have them in my flashcards.
1. sleeping pan
2. PE kit
Finding some images in the internet, I guess I'd better say 'sleeping pad' or 'sleeping bag'.
And I think 'PE kit' should be some kind of a BRAND standing in a place of sports clothes.
Am I right?

Happy new year. Happy new spring.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
These words are not in any dictionaries but I have them in my flashcards.
1. sleeping pan
2. PE kit
Finding some images in the internet, I guess I'd better say 'sleeping pad' or 'sleeping bag'.
And I think 'PE kit' should be some kind of a BRAND standing in a place of sports clothes.
Am I right?

Happy new year. Happy new spring.

"Sleeping pan" and "sleeping pad" are incorrect, "sleeping bag" is OK. "PE kit" is fine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"PE kit" is a generic name for the clothing that you wear to do exercise. It is particularly associated with school.

Child: Mum, where's my PE kit?
Mum: Oh no! Do you have PE today? I thought it was tomorrow.
Child: No, it's today. I'll have to tell my teacher that I don't have my PE kit.

When I was at primary school, my PE kit consisted of a pair of large blue knickers (pants) and a vest. At secondary school, it was an aertex T-shirt (a shirt with small holes in which allows your skin to breathe) and a short blue pleated sports skirt. For the boys, it was the same kind of T-shirt and shorts. It was also a short pair of socks and a pair of trainers.

This is a picture of the PE kit for one particular British primary school.

("PE" in BrE stands for Physical Exercise. I believe that in AmE, it's "Physical Education" and I think it's abbreviated to "Phys Ed", not "PE".)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe that in
AmE
, it's "Physical Education" and I think it's abbreviated to "Phys Ed", not "PE"

And usually just called "gym class."

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And usually just called "gym class."

I think "gym class" (sometimes just "gym") connotes younger children/grade school. I would use phys-ed for HS or after.

For terms outside of school context, I use "workout gear" or sometimes "running gear" if I'm specifically going running versus lifting. Then there are specific terms for specific classes, such as "yoga pants".

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think "gym class" (sometimes just "gym") connotes younger children/grade school. I would use phys-ed for HS or after.

For terms outside of school context, I use "workout gear" or sometimes "running gear" if I'm specifically going running versus lifting. Then there are specific terms for specific classes, such as "yoga pants".

Hmmm. I go to classes at my gym, but I wouldn't call them a gym class, so I agree. However, I do call the clothes I wear to exercise my "gym kit/gym clothes".

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
And you pronounce it /pi: i: kit/ rather than /pe kit/ or both of them are correct?
Thanks,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We say each letter separately because they are initials. Sorry, I don't do phonetics, but what you will hear is "Pee Eee kit".

Status
Not open for further replies.