• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

had to have been=must have been

"But you had to have been scared. The day they said, Piers, it's over." Would there be a difference between "had to have been" and "must have been" in the sentence?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: had to have been=must have been

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "But you had to have been scared. The day they said, Piers, it's over." Would there be a difference between "had to have been" and "must have been" in the sentence?
    No.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

What's the difference between "have to have been" and "had to have been"? As in "Yes, maybe you have to have been there." Does it mean that someone has to be there when something else happens?
    Last edited by ostap77; 23-Mar-2012 at 16:19.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

"You don't even have to have been a fan of sports or a fan of the NBA to have heard all of this hoorah this week about the former NBA player, John Amaechi, who has written a book and who has come out and announced that he is gay." What does "have to have been" here mean? Is it close in meaning to "have to be"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

Yes, that's a bit closer to the meaning.
    Is the sentence an exact quotation from someone, or did you make it up yourself?
    Last edited by JohnParis; 23-Mar-2012 at 17:14.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

It's part of the quotation from COCAE. I'm looking to get an answer to questions in posts 3 and 4.

What about this sentence? "It has to have been a difficult year also. In some ways there's -- there's been a series of disclosures about the Biosphere 2 project." Does it mean here "It must have been....."? What would be the difference in meaning, if I changed it to "It had to have been........"?
    Last edited by ostap77; 23-Mar-2012 at 22:12.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

It's part of the quotation from COCAE. I'm looking to get an answer to questions in posts 3 and 4.

What about this sentence? "It has to have been a difficult year also. In some ways there's -- there's been a series of disclosures about the Biosphere 2 project." Does it mean here "It must have been....."? What would be the difference in meaning, if I changed it to "It had to have been........"?
    It’s the same principle as always for the present and past perfect.
    “It has to have been …” The speaker is making this judgement now.
    “It had to have been …” The speaker is referring to a judgement that could have been made at a time in the past (but following the year in question). You still need two events in the past for this.

“2010 has to have been a bad year for him”. The speaker is making this assessment now, on the basis of what he knows happened in 2010. There is only one time in the past referred to – 2010.
    “2010 had to have been a bad year for him. And then in 2011, his wife died.” Here we have two time periods in the past. The point that the speaker is asserting is that this judgement (about 2010) could have been made in 2011 before his wife died.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

"Yes. Yes. I suspect that it had to have been among the great moments in Nixon's life." By saying "had to have been..'' the speaker is saying it was one of the great moments before he died, right? Could I say "it has to have been......", if I was making this assessment now?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

"Yes. Yes. I suspect that it had to have been among the great moments in Nixon's life." By saying "had to have been..'' the speaker is saying it was one of the great moments before he died, right? Could I say "it has to have been......", if I was making this assessment now?
    Yes, you could use "has". But you're right; the speaker is using Nixon's death as the other event in the past, and is asserting that if the judgement had been made back then, it would be the same.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

So I guess I could say to my girl friend who came home tired from work either "It has to have been a hard day." or "It had to have been a hard day."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast