Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Does somebody know since when "blue" is used with this meaning?
Is this usage typically British or American?

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Pardon my French, but quoi? Blue meaning indecent?! Where in the world did you get that from?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Maybe from Blue Velvet, or blue movies. It doesn't mean indecent, it means sexually hot. To me, that's not indecent, it's just AA14+.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you say that a comedian is blue or uses blue humor, it means he will use a lot of profanity and perhaps sexual inuendo. Ricky Gervaise is one example - so, so funny, but so, so foul.

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Does somebody know since when "blue" is used with this meaning?
Is this usage typically British or American?

According to the OED, the indecent connotation of "blue" seems to be able to trace back to 1864.

Indecent, obscene. Cf. blue n. 14 and blueness n. 4.

1864 J. C. Hotten Slang Dict. (new ed.) 78 Blue, said of talk that is smutty or indecent.
1935 Economist 16 Mar. 584/2 The songs sounded not vulgar exactly, but‥‘a bit on the blue side’.
1959 Spectator 14 Aug. 180/1 It meant that the theatre-going public were deprived of‥outstanding contemporary plays, yet allowed to visit ‘blue’ variety shows.
1965 Punch 2 June 799/1 He also wanted to see a blue movie.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you say that a comedian is blue or uses blue humor, it means he will use a lot of profanity and perhaps sexual inuendo. Ricky Gervaise is one example - so, so funny, but so, so foul.

I'd use the phrase "blue language" to talk about RG's profanity as well so it sounds like it's both an AmE and a BrE concept.

There's also the lovely phrase "turned the air blue" which you would see in sentences like:

"He was effing and jeffing so much the air turned blue!"
or
"He turned the air blue with his constant profanity."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's interesting to see that Barb considers Ricky Gervais to use a lot of profanity etc. I know he got lambasted for his language when he presented some award ceremony or other, but here in the UK, I wouldn't consider him rude at all. Most of his TV shows have been pretty restrained profanity-wise. His live stand-up routine could be very different, I've never seen him on stage.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've seen his stand-up on cable TV specials. Oh my... I had tears streaming down my face from laughing half the time, but I was glad there were no children in the room.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've seen his stand-up on cable TV specials. Oh my... I had tears streaming down my face from laughing half the time, but I was glad there were no children in the room.

Fair enough! I should really track down some live stuff because I love his TV shows.

I think Roy "Chubby" Brown and Jim Davidson would be the two "bluest" comedians I have ever heard. Billy Connolly in the 70s and 80s used "f*ck" as if it were going out of fashion but something about his accent and the endearing way in which he incorporated it into his stories meant it was commonly overlooked.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think The Invention of Lying is one of the more intriguing movies I've seen in a while. Oddly touching at some points.

Status
Not open for further replies.