Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
HELLO...Finally, I have found a page which I will be able to take an answer. :)
A)I have had two girl friends till now, and both of two finished disappointingly, too.
B)I had two girl friends till now, and both of two finished disappointingly, too.

Or...
A)I have bought 2 cars by now, last year I sold one of them to my brother, and the other to my friend.
B)
I bought 2 cars by now, last year I sold one of them to my brother, and the other to my friend.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
HELLO...Finally, I have found a page which I will be able to take an answer. :)
A)I have had two girl friends till now, and both of two finished disappointingly, too.
B)I had two girl friends till now, and both of two finished disappointingly, too.

Either verb form is OK, but "till now" doesn't add anything to the meaning. Also, "both of two" is, at best, clumsy. You could say "both of the two" or "both of them".

Or...
A)I have bought 2 cars by now, last year I sold one of them to my brother, and the other to my friend.
B)
I bought 2 cars by now, last year I sold one of them to my brother, and the other to my friend.

"By now" is not a common term as used in your example particularly because the cars were sold last year, so to refer to a past time period that continues up to the present with "last year" is incongruous. I would prefer to say, "in the past".

b.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think you mean that the girlfriends finished disappointingly. I think you mean both relationships ended in disappointment.

irrina34444

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can we use 'in the past' with present perfect tense?

I have bought 2 cars in the past, last year I sold one of them to my brother, and the other to my friend.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can, but it doesn't add anything to your sentence.

irrina34444

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
OK! I got it. It is more likely to say:
I (have) bought 2 cars in the past, I sold one of them to my brother, and the other to my friend.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The use of the past tense shows that you are talking about the past so there's not really any need to add a phrase like "in the past".

I have owned two cars. I sold one to my brother and the other to my friend.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please note that emsr2d2 corrected your comma splice. You need to make those two sentences, as she has done ,and not join them together with a comma.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can we use 'in the past' with present perfect tense?

I have bought 2 cars in the past, last year I sold one of them to my brother, and the other to my friend.

Yes. This is better. Without the phrase "in the past", use of the present perfect in your example suggests a most recent purchase and then the issue of incongruity with "last year" emerges.

Status
Not open for further replies.