Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 469
    #1

    Smile a reply is greatly appreciated

    I am a seller, I want to end an email and hope that the other party will give me a reply, because sometimes I do not receive any reply.

    Can I end the email with "A reply is greatly appreciated." or "I would greatly appreciate a reply." ?

    Is there other ways/sentences to hint the other party please do not be slient (no reply) even if the price I have given is not good to him.

    Thanks

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,919
    #2

    Re: a reply is greatly appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by goodstudent View Post
    I am a seller, I want to end an email and hope that the other party will give me a reply, because sometimes I do not receive any reply.

    Can I end the email with "A reply is greatly appreciated."? or "I would appreciate a reply"

    Is there other ways/sentences to hint the other party please do not be slient (no reply) even if the price I have given is not good to him.

    Thanks
    You can't force people to reply regardless of what you say. You can finish your email with:

    I look forward to hearing from you.
    A reply would be greatly appreciated.
    I would appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience.
    Please acknowledge receipt of this email (even if you do not wish to purchase).

    Some people simply won't reply if they're no longer interested and there's nothing you can do about that.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 469
    #3

    Re: a reply is greatly appreciated

    Is it common to say:

    1 I am a sincere seller here.

    2 I am a serious seller here.

    3 I am a friendly man here.

    Does the above sentences increase the chances of the buyer replying?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #4

    Re: a reply is greatly appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by goodstudent View Post
    Is it common to say:

    1 I am a sincere seller here.

    2 I am a serious seller here.

    3 I am a friendly man here.

    Does the above sentences increase the chances of the buyer replying?
    None of them is natural English.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,919
    #5

    Re: a reply is greatly appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by goodstudent View Post
    Is it common to say:

    1 I am a sincere seller here.

    2 I am a serious seller here.

    3 I am a friendly man here.

    Does the above sentences increase the chances of the buyer replying?
    No, they are not natural and they are not common. In fact, if someone went to the effort of saying "I'm a genuine serious seller" I would actually be more suspicious of them.

    The simple fact is that when you advertise something for sale, you cannot make people want it. People who want it will offer you money for it. People who don't want it will ignore it. The people who offer you money will always want to buy it for less money than you have asked for it. If you choose to negotiate, that's up to you. You'll either get lucky and someone will eventually buy it for the asking price or you'll have to compromise and accept a lower amount of money.

    I will repeat what I said earlier - I don't think there is anything you can do or say which will make someone more or less likely to reply. They will do whatever they want.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 469
    #6

    Re: a reply is greatly appreciated

    I thought I come across these phrases when i search for the follow words:

    "I am a serious buyer/seller".

    "Looking for serious offers"

    "Looking for serious buyer/seller"

    Are the sentences above wrong too?

    I am curious why and how people use "serious" but you all mention that it is not commonly used. Thanks

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 902
    #7

    Re: a reply is greatly appreciated

    Because people have similar concerns as yours; nobody knows anything about anybody on the internet, so it's smart to be wary of them. (I'm only assuming you're talking about selling over the internet.) It's a hypercorrection, IMO.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 902
    #8

    Re: a reply is greatly appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    No, they are not natural and they are not common. In fact, if someone went to the effort of saying "I'm a genuine serious seller" I would actually be more suspicious of them.
    I had to start and stop reading this several times because I was laughing so hard. In fact, I wanted to type this reply in ALL CAPS, but thought better of it

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,919
    #9

    Re: a reply is greatly appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by BobSmith View Post
    I had to start and stop reading this several times because I was laughing so hard. In fact, I wanted to type this reply in ALL CAPS, but thought better of it
    I'm always happy to amuse!

    There are occasions when the word "serious" might be mentioned but it would usually be to refer to the buyer, not the seller. For example, I recently sold a car. I advertised it online on a popular selling website (no, not eBay!)

    My ad read: "For sale - 2002 Renault Clio, manual, diesel, 153,000 miles, good condition, MOT until May 2012, taxed until December 2012. 750 ono. No dealers. Serious private buyers only please."

    I basically didn't want what we call "time wasters", people who respond to loads of adverts and then offer ridiculously low amounts of money. I wasn't prepared to sell my car for less than 700 so I didn't want to waste my time replying to emails and phone messages offering 350 which, from previous experience, was quite likely to happen. Dealers (people who work at car sales garages) frequently contact private sellers and offer very low amounts and then sell the car on at a much higher price. That irritates me!

    So - there's nothing wrong with the words "serious" or "genuine" but I simply wouldn't use them to describe myself when advertising something for sale. I would describe the item I was selling and perhaps state the type of buyer I was looking for, that's about it.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 469
    #10

    Re: a reply is greatly appreciated

    Are these phrases commonly used?

    "I am very interested in selling ___"

    "I am happy to sell it to you"

    "I am happy to sell it at $___"

    "Looking forward to deal with you"

    "Looking forward for your reply"
    Last edited by goodstudent; 23-Mar-2012 at 03:06.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your time and help ARE/IS/will be greatly appreciated.
    By bowsnhearts in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2009, 19:49
  2. [Essay] Need Help Reviewing My Essay - Greatly Appreciated.
    By AceExpress in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2009, 22:57
  3. your help would be greatly appreciated!
    By iwannamasterenglish in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jun-2009, 16:10
  4. It would be greatly appreciated..
    By playaa in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Oct-2006, 13:06

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •