Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I am a seller, I want to end an email and hope that the other party will give me a reply, because sometimes I do not receive any reply.

Can I end the email with "A reply is greatly appreciated." or "I would greatly appreciate a reply." ?

Is there other ways/sentences to hint the other party please do not be slient (no reply) even if the price I have given is not good to him.

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am a seller, I want to end an email and hope that the other party will give me a reply, because sometimes I do not receive any reply.

Can I end the email with "A reply is greatly appreciated."? or "I would appreciate a reply"

Is there other ways/sentences to hint the other party please do not be slient (no reply) even if the price I have given is not good to him.

Thanks

You can't force people to reply regardless of what you say. You can finish your email with:

I look forward to hearing from you.
A reply would be greatly appreciated.
I would appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience.
Please acknowledge receipt of this email (even if you do not wish to purchase).

Some people simply won't reply if they're no longer interested and there's nothing you can do about that.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Is it common to say:

1 I am a sincere seller here.

2 I am a serious seller here.

3 I am a friendly man here.

Does the above sentences increase the chances of the buyer replying?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Is it common to say:

None of them is natural English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it common to say:

No, they are not natural and they are not common. In fact, if someone went to the effort of saying "I'm a genuine serious seller" I would actually be more suspicious of them.

The simple fact is that when you advertise something for sale, you cannot make people want it. People who want it will offer you money for it. People who don't want it will ignore it. The people who offer you money will always want to buy it for less money than you have asked for it. If you choose to negotiate, that's up to you. You'll either get lucky and someone will eventually buy it for the asking price or you'll have to compromise and accept a lower amount of money.

I will repeat what I said earlier - I don't think there is anything you can do or say which will make someone more or less likely to reply. They will do whatever they want.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I thought I come across these phrases when i search for the follow words:

"I am a serious buyer/seller".

"Looking for serious offers"

"Looking for serious buyer/seller"

Are the sentences above wrong too?

I am curious why and how people use "serious" but you all mention that it is not commonly used. Thanks

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Because people have similar concerns as yours; nobody knows anything about anybody on the internet, so it's smart to be wary of them. (I'm only assuming you're talking about selling over the internet.) It's a hypercorrection, IMO.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, they are not natural and they are not common. In fact, if someone went to the effort of saying "I'm a genuine serious seller" I would actually be more suspicious of them.

I had to start and stop reading this several times because I was laughing so hard. In fact, I wanted to type this reply in ALL CAPS, but thought better of it ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had to start and stop reading this several times because I was laughing so hard. In fact, I wanted to type this reply in ALL CAPS, but thought better of it ;-)

I'm always happy to amuse! ;-)

There are occasions when the word "serious" might be mentioned but it would usually be to refer to the buyer, not the seller. For example, I recently sold a car. I advertised it online on a popular selling website (no, not eBay!)

My ad read: "For sale - 2002 Renault Clio, manual, diesel, 153,000 miles, good condition, MOT until May 2012, taxed until December 2012. £750 ono. No dealers. Serious private buyers only please."

I basically didn't want what we call "time wasters", people who respond to loads of adverts and then offer ridiculously low amounts of money. I wasn't prepared to sell my car for less than £700 so I didn't want to waste my time replying to emails and phone messages offering £350 which, from previous experience, was quite likely to happen. Dealers (people who work at car sales garages) frequently contact private sellers and offer very low amounts and then sell the car on at a much higher price. That irritates me!

So - there's nothing wrong with the words "serious" or "genuine" but I simply wouldn't use them to describe myself when advertising something for sale. I would describe the item I was selling and perhaps state the type of buyer I was looking for, that's about it.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Are these phrases commonly used?

"I am very interested in selling ___"

"I am happy to sell it to you"

"I am happy to sell it at $___"

"Looking forward to deal with you"

"Looking forward for your reply"

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are these phrases commonly used?

"I am very interested in selling ___"

"I am happy to sell it to you"

"I am happy to sell it at $___"

"Looking forward to deal with you"

"Looking forward for your reply"

If you want to look at common wordings in ads, just take a look at the thousands of ads on eBay and on Gumtree, the Friday-Ad website. You can read a huge selection of ads on those websites and you'll get a great idea of how we commonly word them.

Status
Not open for further replies.