Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.

Could anyone check the punctuation marks in the following parenthesis?

(Group 1: Set 1: Item 1, Item 2, Item 3; Set 2: Item4, Item 5, Item 6)

I'm not sure if I can use two colons in a row, but I don't know what else to use.
This parenthesis is a part of a paragraph and there are sentences before and after it.
I need to use a parenthesis. (I'm sorry I can't describe the context, but the situation is confidential. :-( )

The situation would be as follows if I describe it without a parenthesis:
Group1
Set 1
Item 1
Item 2
Item 3
Set 2
Item 4
Item 5
Item 6

Group 2
Set 1
Item 1
Item 2
Item 3
Set 2
Item 4
Item 5
Item 6

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't even try to describe something with multiple levels of hierarchy on a single line like that.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello.

Could anyone check the punctuation marks in the following parenthesis?

(Group 1: Set 1: Item 1, Item 2, Item 3; Set 2: Item4, Item 5, Item 6)

I'm not sure if I can use two colons in a row, but I don't know what else to use.
This parenthesis is a part of a paragraph and there are sentences before and after it.
I need to use a parenthesis. (I'm sorry I can't describe the context, but the situation is confidential. :-( )
You don't have to expose the original. You could think of an analogy:
"Cats: Domestic: shorthair, longhair, exotic; Wild: lion, tiger, jaguar; Fictional: Felix, Garfield, TopCat."
I find that too confusing. The following is clearer:
"Cats: Domestic (shorthair, longhair, exotic), Wild (lion, tiger, jaguar), Fictional (Felix, Garfield, TopCat)."
But if the items are much longer than a siingle word, you'd be better expressing it vertically, with indents:
Cats:
....Domestic
........Longhair, including Persians ...
........Shorthair, including British Shorthair ...
........Exotic, including SIamese, Burmese ...
....Wild

Last edited:

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
You don't have to expose the original. You could think of an analogy:
Thank you so much for the nice example.:)
So, you can use two colons in a row. That's what I wanted to know.

I wouldn't even try to describe something with multiple levels of hierarchy on a single line like that.
Personally I wouldn't either, but I sometimes I have to translate a sentence like this written by someone who demands that the original style should not be changed. ;-)

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would prefer multiple lined indents, but if I had to serialize this, I might try:

(Group 1 (Set 1 (Item 1, Item 2, Item 3)) (Set 2 (Item4, Item 5, Item 6)) Group 2 (...) )

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I would prefer multiple lined indents, but if I had to serialize this, I might try:

(Group 1 (Set 1 (Item 1, Item 2, Item 3)) (Set 2 (Item4, Item 5, Item 6)) Group 2 (...) )

Thank you.
Can we use parentheses in parentheses in a formal document unless otherwise specified in a style guide?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you.
Can we use parentheses in parentheses in a formal document unless otherwise specified in a style guide?
That's a rather mathematical way to write it. I'm sure that in most cases, you'd be asked to try again if you presented that.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's a rather mathematical way to write it. I'm sure that in most cases, you'd be asked to try again if you presented that.

"group", "set", "item" ... these are rather mathematical sounding terms. What kind of paper would you be writing with these kinds of things and not be able to write them in a rather mathematical way?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"group", "set", "item" ... these are rather mathematical sounding terms. What kind of paper would you be writing with these kinds of things and not be able to write them in a rather mathematical way?
Well, we don't know. I just assumed that this was how the OP decided to group the items together, not that the items were of a mathematical nature.

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Sorry for the ambiguity. I want to use numbers (values) for only Items, but not for Goups and Sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.