Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Eg taken from Manhattan:
Wrong: Regina returned the dress to the store, which was torn at one of the seams.
Right: Regina returned the dress, which was torn at one of the seams, to the store.

My query:
In the corrected sentence, ", which was torn .." makes it sound like a non-essential modifier where as it should be an essential one because Regina might have brought 2 dresses home from the store out of which she returned the one that was torn and kept the good one with herself.
so, accoding to me, the corrected one shd be:
Regina returned the dress that was torn at one of the seams, to the store.
Is my understanding on this right?

thankyou.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Eg taken from Manhattan:
Wrong: Regina returned the dress to the store, which was torn at one of the seams.
Right: Regina returned the dress, which was torn at one of the seams, to the store.

My query:
In the corrected sentence, ", which was torn .." makes it sound like a non-essential modifier where as it should be an essential one because Regina might have brought 2 dresses home from the store out of which she returned the one that was torn and kept the good one with herself.
so, accoding to me, the corrected one shd be:
Regina returned the dress that was torn at one of the seams, to the store.
Is my understanding on this right?

thankyou.
Yes, you're right insofar as the answer given as 'Right' only fixes one problem and introduces another. Whether you need the comma depends on whether the dress has been identified, as you say.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes, you're right insofar as the answer given as 'Right' only fixes one problem and introduces another. Whether you need the comma depends on whether the dress has been identified, as you say.

thankyou Raymott!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Remember that "Thank you" is always two words and you need a capital letter at the beginning when it comes at the start of a sentence. When it is a standalone phrase, it will always be "Thank you."

Status
Not open for further replies.