[General] What do you put in here that makes it taste so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, I am back with a question. This is what I saw in a movie but I still do not know how it is correct or I am wondering if it is just acceptable in spoken English. The sentence is "What do you put in here that makes it taste so good". "that makes~" can modifies "What" here? Thanks in advacne all the time.

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello, I am back with a question. This is what I saw in a movie but I still do not know how it is correct or [strike]I am wondering[/strike] if it is [strike]just[/strike] acceptable in spoken English. The sentence is "What do you put in here that makes it taste so good". "that makes~" can modify You have an auxiliary verb (can) therefore the main verb (modify) is unconjugated "What" here? Thanks in [strike]advacne[/strike] advance all the time.

"What do you put in here that makes it taste so good" is acceptable; both grammatically and semantically.

However I don't understand your second question. Could you make it a little clearer?

[Not a teacher]

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for the correcting and good explanation. My question was whether the adjective clause "that makes it taste so good" can modify the interrogative pronoun "what" in the sentence? I just thought "What do you put in here to make it taste so good?" was more correct than...that makes...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you for the correcting and good explanation. My question was whether the adjective clause "that makes it taste so good" can modify the interrogative pronoun "what" in the sentence? I just thought "What do you put in here to make it taste so good?" was more correct than...that makes...
You can write that way if you wish, but the meaning is slightly different.
The original sentence means, "What do you put in here?" and "What makes it taste so good?" where 'what' refers to the same thing.
"What - that makes it taste so good - do you put in here?"

Status
Not open for further replies.