Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
I was watching an interview on BBC world news where a host asks an interviewee, "Do you think that David Cameroon ought to be doing a better job of putting Falk lander's case? " The interviewee replies, " It will be nice if he did". I was just wanted to know if the interviewee uses the correct tense. Shouldn't he have said , "It will be nice if he does"?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I was watching an interview on BBC world news where a host asks an interviewee, "Do you think that David Cameroon ought to be doing a better job of putting Falk lander's case? " The interviewee replies, " It will be nice if he did". I was just wanted to know if the interviewee uses the correct tense. Shouldn't he have said , "It will be nice if he does"?

It was a mistake, they often happen in speech.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was watching an interview on BBC world news where a host asks an interviewee, "Do you think that David Cameron ought to be doing a better job of putting Falklander's case? " The interviewee replies, " It will be nice if he did". I was just wanted to know if the interviewee uses the correct tense. Shouldn't he have said , "It will be nice if he does"?

Was the "It will" very clear? I only ask because if he actually said "It'd" (It would), it's easier for that to sound like "It'll" (It will).

"It'd be nice if he did" is absolutely fine.

I also wonder if the interviewer wasn't a native speaker, or if there is simply a word missing from your text. The question should read "Do you think that David Cameron ought to be doing a better job of putting the Falklanders' case?"

Status
Not open for further replies.