Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Which is correct and why? Thanks.

Later in the morning, angry demonstrators threw rocks at police who/which tried to enter the village.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which is correct and why? Thanks.

Later in the morning, angry demonstrators threw rocks at police who/which tried to enter the village.

Which one do you think is correct, and why?

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Which one do you think is correct, and why?
It is a quote from a newspaper and the original sentence is: " Later in the morning, angry demonstrators threw rocks at police who tried to enter the village."
In my opinion it should be which because police is an inanimate. I wonder if there is an explanation for the use of who in the sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is a quote from a newspaper and the original sentence is: " Later in the morning, angry demonstrators threw rocks at police who tried to enter the village."
In my opinion it should be which because police is an inanimate. I wonder if there is an explanation for the use of who in the sentence.

You have inanimate police in your country?! How strange. How do the police do their job if they are not alive?

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
You have inanimate police in your country?! How strange. How do the police do their job if they are not alive?
In my language "police" is perceived as a body and therefore is an inanimate (unlike "policemen").

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In my language "police" is perceived as a body and therefore is an inanimate (unlike "policemen").

It doesn't work that way in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.