English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hello
I am an English teacher, recently I was teaching the difference between" use to " ," to be used to " and " to get used to" I did not have a good way to start them,I mean I do not know how to activate these structures.however,I had good ways to activate them.
please help me to have a good warm-up for these structures and make the upper intermediate students understood.
best regards,
moonlike

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do they have to be taught together? Given the differences in structure and meaning, isn't there a case to teach them separately first?

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
New Headway Upper Intermediate insists on dealing with them together which makes little sense if ever. What might help is to make it clear what time they are actually speaking about - either about past habits or the way things are now. I also found the handouts here and here quite useful - thanks to UE we have survived :-D

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
thanks a lot for replying the message although the handouts were useful they're not enough .they are good for the study phase.you know here we should obey these three stages,engagement,study and finally the activation.I am teaching the UI level,and unfortunately all these three structures have to be taught after one reading about the film " terminal"the way the book has taught is really boring and confusing ,I do not know how, I mean through a joke,a story a context to start these three structures.
I really appreciate all the replies.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
thanks for considering my case,yeah we do have to teach them simultaneously. they are UI students,so they have learned " used to " so far,the problem is to be used to and to get used to.we are teaching the total English series.
thanks for your consideration.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If you are talking about Total English then it usually has a good resource pack in the teacher's book, also you can search on their site.
In Headway there was a role play about a school reunion - the way they used to be/ would do things and how things are now. I wouldn't say it was extremely interesting but that might be my personal view on Headway as such.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
thanks anyway dear Esgaleth
the book has some not very interesting exercises just for the study part not some good ones for the warm-up.I am really fussy about the way to start a grammar point that's interesting and useful.i have gone through lots of sources but I have not been convinced so far.but thanks a lot for reconsidering my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.