Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You know it's a really hard question to make a synonym for any other language or culture's custom.

Before getting married our traditional custom is like this:
The boy's family (parents) go to the girl's home and ask them and eat sweets and drink tea from the girl's hand.
This ceremony is called 'KHASTEGARI' in our language but I think there may not be a synonym for that in English but some times you have to refer to them with some words.
I think the words 'the matchmaking meeting' or 'the matchmaking ceremony' are my best options. What do you say?

Thanks,
ata

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
You know it's a really hard question to make a synonym for any other language or culture's custom.

Before getting married our traditional custom is like this:
The boy's family (parents) go to the girl's home and ask them and eat sweets and drink tea from the girl's hand.
This ceremony is called 'KHASTEGARI' in our language but I think there may not be a synonym for that in English but some times you have to refer to them with some words.
I think the words 'the matchmaking meeting' or 'the matchmaking ceremony' are my best options. What do you say?

Thanks,
ata

"The matchmaking ceremony" sounds good.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you for your fast answer.
When it is the first time in my writing to refer to the term, should I say 'The matchmaking ceremony' or 'matchmaking ceremony' ?
example:
Mohammadis went to the matchmaking ceremony.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
When it is the first time in my writing to refer to the term, should I say 'The matchmaking ceremony' or 'matchmaking ceremony' ?
example:

Use "the".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
example:

Is "Mohammadi" the surname/family name of the people involved? If so, you would say "The Mohammadis went to the matchmaking ceremony [of their daughter and XXXXX]"

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is "Mohammadi" the surname/family name of the people involved? If so, you would say "The Mohammadis went to the matchmaking ceremony [of their son and XXXXX]"
Does the girl's family go to such ceremony in the UK?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We (by "we", I mean white, Anglo-Saxon British people) don't have such ceremonies so that's difficult to answer. After a couple decide to get married, there is frequently an engagement party but it's organised by the couple and they invite all their friends and family. It's not a ceremony though, nor is there any tradition involved. It's just a big party where everyone gives the couple a congratulatory card or present and gets very drunk!

Just to clarify, when I said "we", I was really only able to refer to people of my own ethnicity. I'm guessing from the name of the ceremony and the OP's user information that this is perhaps a Muslim traditional ceremony. I can't speak for what Muslim families in the UK do.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi
I think you can also use the term " marriage proposal ceremony".

Status
Not open for further replies.