Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Help me with ideas how to make my classroom the best place for studying english!

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Help me with ideas how to make my classroom the best place for studying english!

welcome to usingenglish.com
Hi dear AnnEe
Well, there are lots of different ways. The ones I mention here are a few that I have experienced myself in my classes.
1. Whenever I feel happy myself, I can transfer this positive energy to my learners as well.
2. Being fully prepared for the lesson you are going to teach, regarding some real objects,some games, some jokes ans some interesting things related to the theme of that lesson to zest up the learners.
3.Sometimes in some of my upper-intermediate classes I let them teach some parts( including vocabulary or some very simple grammar points that they have had so far such as: the -ed / -ING adjectives),of course I provide them with some handouts, some hints and suggestions. I always ask for volunteers. They really enjoy most of the time.
4. Have the students move in class rather than just sitting and talking in pairs or groups. I usually write the questions that they are supposed to discuss in groups on a piece of paper and stick it on the wall around the class and make them move in groups and talk in this way they do not depend on their book.Of course I determine who should be in the groups.
I hope they can be of use for you.
Good luck!

AnnnEe

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks a lot!!! What about every day decorations? I want to create good atmosphere in my class.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That's also good, but I think it's much more useful for the kids or the teenagers.You can also stick some photos on the classroom walls before the learners enter so that they make the learners' mind engaged as soon as you enter.Now the bed is ready for you to teach the new topic,rule or structure.
Good luck!:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What is the seating arrangement?

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks a lot!!! What about every day decorations? I want to create good atmosphere in my class.
What age group are you teaching? For adults, I think "less is more". For teenagers, something fresh to look at every so often is helpful - especially if it's something based on their interests. I see you are based in Russia, so I imagine it would be hard for you to get "English" posters for current films? Is there a cinema near you that shows films in English? If so, maybe they could help. If not, they could probably be ordered online for a small cost.
I also like to display student work on my walls - it can give them a sense of pride and achievement, it's cheap, and it motivates them to do well if they know their work will be visible.

AnnnEe

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What age group are you teaching? For adults, I think "less is more". For teenagers, something fresh to look at every so often is helpful - especially if it's something based on their interests. I see you are based in Russia, so I imagine it would be hard for you to get "English" posters for current films? Is there a cinema near you that shows films in English? If so, maybe they could help. If not, they could probably be ordered online for a small cost.
I also like to display student work on my walls - it can give them a sense of pride and achievement, it's cheap, and it motivates them to do well if they know their work will be visible.

Thank you! I teach all types of groups, so I think I must find happy medium!

Status
Not open for further replies.