• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

When is the last time?

The writer doesn't seem to ramble, but my workbook's question seems to. What does the underlined mean? Is it a rhetoric question to mean that they rarely hire such people as have emotional strengths but do hire people with working competence to complement the exisiting shortcomings? The theme seems to go back and forth in every line, confusing me.

st197
    ex)Rarely are people recruited to an executive team because their strengths are the best complement to those of the existing team members. When is the last time you heard a leader talking about how your team needed to add a person who not only had the technical competence but who could also help build stronger relationships within the group? The vast majority of the time, we cruit by job function - and all but ignore individuals' strengths. What's worse, when leaders do recuirt for strength, they all too often pick people who act, think, or behave like themselves, although unintentionally in most cases. It's an age-old dilemma. How is a company supposed to grow, adapt, and change if a domineering CEO continues to pick people who agree with him and who have similar background and personality?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: When is the last time?

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    The writer doesn't seem to ramble, but my workbook's question seems to. What does the underlined mean? Is it a rhetoric question to mean that they rarely hire such people as have emotional strengths but do hire people with working competence to complement the exisiting shortcomings? The theme seems to go back and forth in every line, confusing me.

st197
    ex)Rarely are people recruited to an executive team because their strengths are the best complement to those of the existing team members. When is the last time you heard a leader talking about how your team needed to add a person who not only had the technical competence but who could also help build stronger relationships within the group? The vast majority of the time, we cruit by job function - and all but ignore individuals' strengths. What's worse, when leaders do recuirt for strength, they all too often pick people who act, think, or behave like themselves, although unintentionally in most cases. It's an age-old dilemma. How is a company supposed to grow, adapt, and change if a domineering CEO continues to pick people who agree with him and who have similar background and personality?
    It's a rhetorical question.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

It would be good for me to get a little bit longer answer from you to understand better.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    It would be good for me to get a little bit longer answer from you to understand better.
    You asked if it was a rhetorical question and I said that it was. What other information do you need?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I'd like to know if it means "They want to hire people with emotional or skillful ability to complement the organization". Does "when is the last time" mean "such trend doesn't exist any more"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It means it doesn't happen at all, or very rarely. The point here is that companies hire people based on their technical skills, not on how they can "build stronger relationships within the group."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In point of fact, this is exactly what my company does, from new hires to the company to forming internal teams, and we make sure that people know that "has strengths exactly like mine" is NOT a way to build a team. Not related to the grammar or meaning, but just to say that I can answer this rhetorical question with "just about every time we talk about a team or a new hire" here.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I agree. Even if it's not a formal goal, you bring a prospective hire in and have your existing team talk to him. He could be the most competent person out there, but if he rubs everyone the wrong way, he probably won't get hired.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Could you let me know what "strengths" here means by examples?
    Last edited by keannu; 28-Mar-2012 at 23:39.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Maybe my question was so long as to make teachers avoid it, so I shortened it to "the meaning of strengths".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast