• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

questions..are they good at English?

Hello, this news below is the part of the article "The teen times", which is a Korean news on which many Korean reporters write about world-wide issues. They say that they are very fluent in English so that people can learn English by reading their newspaper.

As a view of the native speakers, do you guys think those English expression are fine? I am just asking to make sure because I am going to learn English with this newspaper. I can't tell whether they are good at English, so please help me.

Thank you!!

From the TV screen to the big screen, George Clooney’s
    career over the past two and a halfdecades has been linked to some of the mostacclaimed TV dramas and films of our time. Now anoted actor, director, producer, screen writer, and even political activist, Clooney’s industry debut wasmodestat best as he played an extra on the 1978 TV series Centennial. It was his part on the award winning series ER, as Dr. Douglas Ross - whose 5 year duration on the cast saw awards from the George Foster Peabody, the Emmys, and the People’s Choice Awards - that initiated his catapult tostardom.

After moving on from the show in 1998, Clooney was cast in
    a slew ofvaryingroles on cinema screens. He received several nominations for the Academy Awards for his character portrayals in 2007’s Michael Clayton, 2009’s Up in the Air, and 2011’s The Descendents. However it was in thepoliticallycharged thriller, Syriana, - where Clooney’s character, Barnes, faces the dilemma of completing a final mission after the rise of unforeseen events and consequentlybecoming scapegoated by his own agency - that won him the Oscar for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in 2005.

Throughout his career, from his
    breakthrough to his currentsuccess, Clooney has shown talent in an array of different TV and film genres.Much like in his acting career, he has shown talent in a diverserange of humanitarian and political efforts.

These efforts,
    undoubtedlyfueled more so from his acting success, has notablyattached Clooney’s name to humanitarian aid on the Darfur conflict and toresourceadvocacy organizations like Not On Our Watch.

Although his name may
    spread across broaderspectrums of discussion today, it would beappropriate to assume that the evolution of Clooney’s career stands to produce and build upon the entertainment strengths of the industry and thusly, the entertainment of its audiences for further decades to come.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: questions..are they good at English?

The English is OK, but the spacing is terrible- many words and phrases are joined (wasmodestat, ina, halfdecades, etc). The English isn't perfect- some of the phrasing sounds a bit strange and there are mistakes:

These efforts, undoubtedlyfueled more so from his acting success, has notablyattached Clooney’s name
    This isn't very good- the phrasing's strange - notably attached - and the undoubtedly part doesn't work for me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Yes. That is the part of the reason why I posted the previous questions.. I can't understand the sentence "These efforts, undoubtedlyfueled more so from his acting success, has notablyattached Clooney’s name to humanitarian aid on the Darfur conflict and toresourceadvocacy organizations like Not On Our Watch." Maybe, I caused the spacing problems when I copied this article and pasted it on here, but I can't think that this english is good enough even if there is no spacing errors...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by layla0302 View Post
    Yes. That is the part of the reason why I posted the previous questions.. I can't understand the sentence "These efforts, undoubtedlyfueled more so from his acting success, has notablyattached Clooney’s name to humanitarian aid on the Darfur conflict and toresourceadvocacy organizations like Not On Our Watch." Maybe, I caused the spacing problems when I copied this article and pasted it on here, but I can't think that this english is good enough even if there is no spacing errors...
    You are right, even if you correct t the spacing, it's not good.