Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"Fellowship" has lots of meanings and the translation goes "support fund", and I found the most similar one, "scholarship given to graduate students". So what do you think?

st185
ex)In the summer of 1966, Alice Walker, who would later win a Pulitzer Prize for The Color Purple, spent her days battling racism in Mississippi. She had recently won her first writing fellowship and could have been chosen to follow her dream of moving to Senegal, Africa, but instead she put herself in the heat of the civil rights movement...

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Do you mean a or b for the answer?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the same way you win a Nobel Prize, and don't "win" the title of Nobel Laureate, I'd go with a.

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Was she at college when she was to win the prize? I mean, is fellowship only for college students or even ordinary people?

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It is most often used in an academic context: a fellow is often part of an elite group of learned people who are awarded fellowship to work together as peers in the pursuit of knowledge or practice. The fellows may include visiting professors, postdoctoral researchers and doctoral researchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.