Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 608
    #1

    even though before adj.

    • Although & though can be used before adjectives on their own- It was a good restaurant, though expensive.



    Can we use even though in the same way as?

    It was a good restaurant, even though expensive.

    Thanks...

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #2

    Re: even though before adj.

    Quote Originally Posted by aysaa View Post
    • Although & though can be used before adjectives on their own- It was a good restaurant, though expensive.

    Can we use even though in the same way as?

    It was a good restaurant, even though expensive.

    Thanks...
    Yes, it's possible, even though not common.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 608
    #3

    Re: even though before adj.

    Can I ask one more question? Can we use 'although / though / even though' before +Ving?

    Though applying for hundreds of jobs, he is still out of work.
    Although
    applying for hundreds of jobs, he is still out of work.
    Even though applying for hundreds of jobs, he is still out of work.

    Thanks...

  2. Bennevis's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,052
    #4

    Re: even though before adj.

    It was a good restaurant, if (somewhat) expensive.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: even though before adj.

    Quote Originally Posted by aysaa View Post
    Can I ask one more question? Can we use 'although / though / even though' before +Ving?

    Though applying for hundreds of jobs, he is still out of work.
    Although
    applying for hundreds of jobs, he is still out of work.
    Even though applying for hundreds of jobs, he is still out of work.

    Thanks...
    No, that doesn't work because of the tense.
    "Although he has applied for hundreds of jobs, he is still out of work."

    In any case, all of these terms are more common with a verb. "
    It was a good restaurant, even though it was expensive."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 608
    #6

    Re: even though before adj.

    Cant we construct a sentece 'although + Ving + O + Adv, second clause' ?

    If the sentence I have written is bad, can you please construct a sentence?

    Although feeling ill, she stayed at home and studied for her exams.






    Last edited by aysaa; 29-Mar-2012 at 13:16.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: even though before adj.

    Quote Originally Posted by aysaa View Post
    Cant we construct a sentece 'although + Ving + O + Adv, second clause' ?

    If the sentence I have written is bad, can you please construct a sentence?

    Although feeling ill, she stayed at home and studied for her exams.

    Although she was feeling ill, she stayed at home and studied for her exams.
    As I said, it's grammatical to write or say what you want to; but (almost) no one would.

Similar Threads

  1. the + Adj. vs Adj. + people
    By AlexAD in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-Feb-2012, 07:07
  2. Looking for an adj...
    By Mehrgan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-May-2010, 12:52
  3. [Grammar] so +adj-adv/ such +a/an+n+adj
    By Roose in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Dec-2009, 19:15
  4. [Grammar] what is the difference between 'adj+to-inf.' and 'adj+ v-ing'
    By wawa97 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-Jun-2009, 03:55
  5. Im looking for an Adj
    By Mehrgan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Apr-2009, 20:50

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •