Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
They're utilizing the latest technologies and techniques to get to know their customers better, thus discovering how best to serve them.

Q) Are "they are" omitted in front of "discovering?" If so, I haven't seen the subject and the verb are omitted like that.
If not, how should I understand the structure?

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
yes, they're has been omitted. For example in this sentence "They planned to reduce staff and thus to cut costs" they planned has been omitted after thus.
or in this sentence "she's an expert and thus the best person to ask" she's has been removed after thus.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi
Yes, they're has been omitted. For example, in this sentence "They planned to reduce staff and thus [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] cut costs" they planned has been omitted after thus.
[STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] In this sentence "She's an expert and thus the best person to ask" she's has been removed after thus.

Yes, it's entirely possible.

I am eating fewer biscuits and thus losing weight.
He is very good with computers and thus an excellent person to go to for advice.
She has fourteen children and therefore no spare time.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for the correction, but it was exactly the example sentence I found in Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary:
They planned to reduce staff and thus to cut costs.
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.