English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
According to this statement, 'He was a considerate man who had done well in his company.
Could this be the appropriate instruction? 'Write down what kind of man he was and what he had accomplished'.
Is there a better one?

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,
According to this statement, 'He was a considerate man who had done well in his company.
Could this be the appropriate instruction? 'Write down what kind of man he was and what he had accomplished'.
Is there a better one?

Thanks in advance.

Your instruction sounds OK to me. An alternative could be "Write down what sort of man he was and whether he had been successful or not".

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Your instruction sounds OK to me. An alternative could be "Write down what sort of man he was and whether he had been successful or not".
I like yours very much, but the thing is that the students are low intermediate. So I guess mine is easier for them.

Best,
L54

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

Hi,
Sorry, one more question, according to this instruction of yours, '... whether he had been successful or not', isn't the reply 'yes' or 'no'?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I like yours very much, but the thing is that the students are low intermediate so I guess mine is easier for them.

Best,
L54

Yes, yours is easier.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Yes, yours is easier.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply and for correcting me. I always have this tendency to put a period or a comma before 'so'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Sorry, one more question, according to this instruction of yours, '... whether he had been successful or not', isn't the reply 'yes' or 'no'?

You're quite right. It would be a closed question which is never a good idea. Yours is much better on all levels.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
You're quite right. It would be a closed question which is never a good idea. Yours is much better on all levels.
Hi,
Thank you for your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.