Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #1

    Question on the article 'the' using the narrative tenses

    Hi teachers,

    This is just part of story.
    A dog’s barking somewhere in the distance. Is it a police dog perhaps? The man in the field doesn’t know. There is only one idea in his mind at the moment: he must find food and some warm clothes, but where?

    The students have read it and then they have these directions:

    Now using the narrative tenses rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules go to page 2 inthe Student Writing Support.

    This is how the text should look:

    A dog was barking somewhere in the distance. Was it a policedog perhaps? The man in the field didn’t know. There was only one idea in his mind at that moment: he had to find food and some warm clothes, but where?

    My question is on the article
    ‘the’. Should I change it to ‘that’ because there’s the word ‘moment’ after it, or I should just leave it the way it is with 'the'?


    Thanks in advance.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,595
    #2

    Re: Question on the article 'the' using the narrative tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi teachers,

    This is just part of story.
    A dog’s barking somewhere in the distance. Is it a police dog perhaps? The man in the field doesn’t know. There is only one idea in his mind at the moment: he must find food and some warm clothes, but where?

    The students have read it and then they have these directions:

    Now using the narrative tenses rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules go to page 2 inthe Student Writing Support.

    This is how the text should look:

    A dog was barking somewhere in the distance. Was it a policedog perhaps? The man in the field didn’t know. There was only one idea in his mind at that moment: he had to find food and some warm clothes, but where?

    My question is on the article
    ‘the’. Should I change it to ‘that’ because there’s the word ‘moment’ after it, or I should just leave it the way it is with 'the'?


    Thanks in advance.
    "A dog was barking somewhere in the distance. Was it a police dog perhaps? The man in the field didn’t know. There was only one idea in his mind at that moment: he had to find food and some warm clothes, but where?" This is correct, "the" would be wrong.

  3. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #3

    Re: Question on the article 'the' using the narrative tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "A dog was barking somewhere in the distance. Was it a police dog perhaps? The man in the field didn’t know. There was only one idea in his mind at that moment: he had to find food and some warm clothes, but where?" This is correct, "the" would be wrong.
    Hi,
    Thank you so much for your reply. Is it just because of the word 'moment' after it that I should change it?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 902
    #4

    Re: Question on the article 'the' using the narrative tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Now using the narrative tenses rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules go to page 2 inthe Student Writing Support.
    [AmE - not a teacher]

    Personally, I would include commas here:

    Now Using the narrative tenses, rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules, go to page 2 in <space> the Student Writing Support.

    Perhaps some teacher can correct me if this is wrong.

    Also, "in the Student Writing Support" sounds odd to me. Student Writing Support what, web site? Workbook? Powerpoint? If that is the literal title, then I think I would leave off the article: "For detailed rules, go to page 2 in Student Writing Support."

  4. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #5

    Re: Question on the article 'the' using the narrative tenses

    Hi BobSmith,
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    The manuscript has at the very beginning 'The Student Writing Support'

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,822
    #6

    Re: Question on the article 'the' using the narrative tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you so much for your reply. Is it just because of the word 'moment' after it that I should change it?
    Not specifically the use of the word "moment". In the present tense, we would use "at the moment", "at the time", "on the day" etc. If you move those into the narrative (past simple), they become "at that moment", "at that time", "on that day" etc.

    EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it "On the day" could remain the same in the narrative.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 30-Mar-2012 at 15:48. Reason: typo

  6. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #7

    Re: Question on the article 'the' using the narrative tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Not specifically the use of the word "moment". In the present tense, we would use "at the moment", "at the time", "on the day" etc. If you move those into the narrative (past simple), they become "at that moment", "at that time", "on that day" etc.

    EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it "On the day" could remain the same in the narrative.
    Hi,
    Thank you very much for your reply.

    L54

  7. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #8

    Re: Question on the article 'the' using the narrative tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by BobSmith View Post
    [AmE - not a teacher]

    Personally, I would include commas here:

    Now Using the narrative tenses, rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules, go to page 2 in <space> the Student Writing Support.

    Perhaps some teacher can correct me if this is wrong.

    Also, "in the Student Writing Support" sounds odd to me. Student Writing Support what, web site? Workbook? Powerpoint? If that is the literal title, then I think I would leave off the article: "For detailed rules, go to page 2 in Student Writing Support."
    Hi,
    To me Bob's suggestion sounds very fine, but could a teacher confirm it please?

    L54

  8. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,595
    #9

    Re: Question on the article 'the' using the narrative tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi,
    To me Bob's suggestion sounds very fine, but could a teacher confirm it please?

    L54
    I would punctuate your original sentences like this:
    Now, using the narrative tenses, rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules, go to page 2 in the Student Writing Support.
    If you delete "now", as he suggested, I agree with his punctuation.

  9. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #10

    Re: Question on the article 'the' using the narrative tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I would punctuate your original sentences like this:
    Now, using the narrative tenses, rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules, go to page 2 in the Student Writing Support.
    If you delete "now", as he suggested, I agree with his punctuation.
    Hi,
    Thank you very much for your help.

    Best,
    L54

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Question about definitions for Tenses in Narrative
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2011, 13:29
  2. Question about Narrative Tenses
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2011, 10:06
  3. [Grammar] Narrative tenses
    By ametisto in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Oct-2010, 10:35
  4. Question about a Narrative essay
    By hjpointers in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2010, 15:39
  5. past narrative tenses
    By mara_ce in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Jun-2009, 16:14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •