How to pronounce " Esc and Ctrl ". I read them as Escape and Control. Acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How to pronounce " Esc and Ctrl ". I read them as Escape and Control. Acceptable?

Context:

'We’ve started to see numbers of humans pretending to be bots, a strange development that signals a shift in the power and identity politics of the internet.' Photograph: Blutgruppe/zefa/Corbis
As part of the Esc and Ctrl series, Jon Ronson recently published two videos on Comment is free in which he confronts a spambot version of himself and accuses it of stealing his identity.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: How to pronounce " Esc and Ctrl ". I read them as Escape and Control. Acceptable?

I would assume so, because those abbreviations are for the meanings "escape" and "control". Those phrases came first, the abbreviations second.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: How to pronounce " Esc and Ctrl ". I read them as Escape and Control. Acceptable?

I would certainly say that aloud as "Escape and control".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

And I'd say 'Esc and Control', because keyboard users typically use those words - as in 'the Esc key', and 'Control/Alt/Delete'. But whichever version you use, the meaning will be clear.

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I say "Alt." I'm not even sure what it's short for. But I do say "Control" and "Escape" as full words. Who knows what "Alt" is actually short for?

Alternate? as in some sort of "Alternate function" for the key you press with it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

And I'd say 'Esc and Control', because keyboard users typically use those words - as in 'the Esc key', and 'Control/Alt/Delete'. But whichever version you use, the meaning will be clear.

b

I can honestly say I've never heard anyone pronounce it "Esc"! "Alt" I agree with - in fact I have absolutely no idea what it's an abbreviation of.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I say "Alt." I'm not even sure what it's short for. But I do say "Control" and "Escape" as full words. Who knows what "Alt" is actually short for?

Alternate? as in some sort of "Alternate function" for the key you press with it?

Yes, I believe that was the idea. Alternate.

I just say "alt" as well.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Does the Esc key actually do anything?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

HAHAHAHA

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The only thing I know it does is puts your screen back to normal after watching a full-screen film/TV show/video etc.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"Esc" is the same as a "cancel" button, to dismiss a dialog box, menu or similar item.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

To the average Windows user, it doesn't do much. The closer you get to the machine, the more it does.
It also depends on what programs you run.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The only thing I know it does is puts your screen back to normal after watching a full-screen film/TV show/video etc.
:up: That's what I use it for. I think it's a description of what's going on from a programmers' eye view - it's executing a loop of instructions, and <Esc> is like a ref's whistle - it stops (in theory) whatever's going on.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.